Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68

Thread: Need advice Linux laptops

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Need advice Linux laptops

    Hey,

    I need some help from you Linux gurus. I'm looking for a budget friendly Linux compatible Laptop that has nvidia onboard graphics and wifi. I am at a loss at where to look so kindly help this poor soul.

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    Have you looked at any from Lenovo, Acer, or ASUS? I know they have some lower-end ones with NVIDIA graphics but should be nice build quality and work with Linux. Or are you looking more at the Eee-type PC?

  3. #3

    Default

    Well, I was hoping to have wifi, nVidia graphics and an Intel Core Duo processor. But I'll be doing mostly intense database stuff. I'm virtually broke so I'm wanting to have a good balance for power kind of laptop. I don't need ultra portable, just something that has a little umph.

    By the way, I did try to check Lenovo, Acer and ASUS... even Dell... but then checking for a laptop with good specs, then checking Linux compatibility, and then the price is a real headache. So, I'm hoping you guys could give me some recommendations.

    Please help.

  4. #4

    Default

    If you don't really need much 3D, go for a Laptop with integrated Intel graphics. I currently bought a Thinkpad X60 Tablet. It works perfectly with gentoo, basically everything I tested so far works, even suspend to ram. The hardware quality is really great and it works.

  5. #5

    Default

    I'd rather have that little bit extra in 3D, which is why I'm specifically after nVidia boards.

    Keep the suggestions coming, because I'm going to have to buy one fairly soon.

    About Thinkpads, at first I was thinking of getting R61, until I found out it was a pain to install Linux. Dang Lenovo!

    EDIT:

    I'm looking at this one. What do you guys think?
    ASUS A8JM
    http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...84&review=Asus
    http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Asus+A8Jm
    Last edited by niniendowarrior; 01-30-2008 at 04:01 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    I'd rather have that little bit extra in 3D, which is why I'm specifically after nVidia boards.

    Keep the suggestions coming, because I'm going to have to buy one fairly soon.

    About Thinkpads, at first I was thinking of getting R61, until I found out it was a pain to install Linux. Dang Lenovo!
    After having a short look at the thinkwiki, it does look like it is supporting linux:
    Linux Install Instructions for R61
    Regarding the gentoo instructions things seem to work rather nicely with recent distributions. Regarding quality, the ThinkPads are probably among the best hardware available.

    Loking at the compatibility listing at http://www.linlap.com/wiki/IBM-Lenovo+Thinkpad+R61, I would say that it should be no real problem. The wireless driver is by now even available directly in the kernel as of kernel 2.6.24.

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    I'm looking at this one. What do you guys think?
    ASUS A8JM
    http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...84&review=Asus
    http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Asus+A8Jm
    To be honest: No idea how good the asus laptops are. I heard from some people that they would be quite good, from other I heard that they were almost as bad as the ones from Acer. The same regarding quality seems to count for "non-Thinkpad"-Lenovo devices. Their quality might be questionable... I just know that in general all laptops that are directed at business users (like ThinkPads and many others) tend to provide a rather good manufacturing quality.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Parish, NY
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    I'd rather have that little bit extra in 3D, which is why I'm specifically after nVidia boards.

    Keep the suggestions coming, because I'm going to have to buy one fairly soon.

    About Thinkpads, at first I was thinking of getting R61, until I found out it was a pain to install Linux. Dang Lenovo!
    For what it's worth, I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 model 2007, and one of my close friends has a Thinkpad R61.

    The only issue we've both had is with the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG chipset. I say "issue" and not "problem" because, depending on your familiarity with the tools at hand, it's easy to fix: in our collective experience, the ipw3945 driver is trash. Most distros ship with (or can easily attain) the microcode needed for the iwlwifi driver. I know Suse 10.3 and newer ship with both and its easy to switch between the two, though it seems best to just plain get rid of ipw* to make sure it doesn't much things up.

    Other than that, mine has an ATI X1300 chipset, which should speak for itself. My buddy was smart enough to go Intel.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I have said this earlier in this thread, but even at this time, one just cannot beat the dell vostro 1400. Its small and compact and light enough to be portable. Although 14", its form factor is similar to 13.3". Has Nvidia 8400m gs graphics and Intel core2duo. 2 gb of ram and 160gb hard drive. Add an 85Whr battery and even with discrete graphics it lasts a whopping 6+ hrs in linux (they claim 7hrs). Everything works in Linux - even the inbuilt webcam and microphone and bluetooth (and even the modem if anyone cares ). The wireless, though broadcom, is now well supported by b43 driver (and ndiswrapper if need be), and might be swappable with a ipw4965agn. All this within 800 usd (850 with ipw4965) is a dream deal. I must say, I have been very happy ever since I bought it late last year. Both for work and play. Everything works as it should in Linux .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hdas View Post
    I have said this earlier in this thread, but even at this time, one just cannot beat the dell vostro 1400. Its small and compact and light enough to be portable. Although 14", its form factor is similar to 13.3". Has Nvidia 8400m gs graphics and Intel core2duo. 2 gb of ram and 160gb hard drive. Add an 85Whr battery and even with discrete graphics it lasts a whopping 6+ hrs in linux (they claim 7hrs). Everything works in Linux - even the inbuilt webcam and microphone and bluetooth (and even the modem if anyone cares ). The wireless, though broadcom, is now well supported by b43 driver (and ndiswrapper if need be), and might be swappable with a ipw4965agn. All this within 800 usd (850 with ipw4965) is a dream deal. I must say, I have been very happy ever since I bought it late last year. Both for work and play. Everything works as it should in Linux .
    I like the Vostro 1400 but it doesn't have DVI or HDMI. I might want to hook it up to my LCD monitor (if I'm at home) sometimes. Still, I am considering it but the Dells are somewhat expensive as well. My ideal laptops are 1) LG P300 (can't find; expensive) and 2) Dell XPS M1330 and the Dell Vostro 1400 would be ideal if it had a DVI port.

    I have read the Intel wirless 4965agn is supported out of the box in Linux so I want a laptop that has that wireless card.

    The other laptop I'm considering is the Lenovo Thinkpad T61 and although the Nvidia card in that chip is not very common, supposedly, it's supported in Linux? How well, that is the question. I read it's similar to the Nvidia 8400M GS (?) but I'm not sure to what degree, a user/owner would have issues. For most laptops (Dell, for e.g.), it's only a $100 upgrade from Intel integrated graphics to the Nvidia dedicated graphics so that seems to be worth it. Doesn't it?

    Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    76

    Default

    What about the HP Compaq 6720S? It has a Core 2 Dou 1,6Ghz, 1024 MB RAM (easily upgradeable up to 4GB), 120GB SATA-HDD and Intel GMAX3100 with up to 384MB Video-RAM (taken from the mainboards RAM) and Intel Ethernet/Wireless and a Lightscribe DVD-RW- and CD-RW-drive from TsstCorp.

    I like it quite well. After a BIOS-update, everything worked like a charm. In Germany I paid about 550 for it and it was worth the price. I don't know if its performant enough for your tasks.


    It looks like this*:



    * Picture not taken by me. I can provide you with pictures from any angle of the Laptop, if you'd like.
    Last edited by Huenengrab; 01-30-2008 at 07:17 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •