Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop Comparison: 6 Desktops, 5 Driver/GPUs

Xfce and Unity have the same color, same true about the other 2 red items.

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    These results indicate clearly the opposite of what KWin developers recently told the public: KWin simply isn't great for gaming.
    It is, but you have to use suspend fullscreen compositions option. I also tried this in Ubuntu and I had equal FPS in both environments using nVIDIA binary blob.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    It is, but you have to use suspend fullscreen compositions option. I also tried this in Ubuntu and I had equal FPS in both environments using nVIDIA binary blob.
    I can second that. I thought KDE was meant to automatically suspend compositing, but I've found several times it was necessary to do so manually (Alt+Shift+F12).

Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    Wow (not that this is all that surprising!) but Nvidia (blob) certainly does wipe the floor with every other driver.
    I wondering, did you notice he compare nVidia driver running on $470 GPU with Catalyst driver running on $180 GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Xfce and Unity have the same color, same true about the other 2 red items.
    @Michael
    What's wrong with a nice rainbow-colored chart? Or at least *easy* to distinguish colors? These charts are very difficult to read, they only say "have a closer look at kwin".

Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    Wow (not that this is all that surprising!) but Nvidia (blob) certainly does wipe the floor with every other driver.
    yeah.. really.. especially considering AMD card costs ~160$, Intel graphics are integrated in CPU, and GTX is just a high-end card for ~500$

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    I wondering, did you notice he compare nVidia driver running on $470 GPU with Catalyst driver running on $180 GPU?
    ha ha, you were few minutes faster on posting exactly same thing I was thinking
    Last edited by padrikas; 12-13-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    lol.

_me_not_playing_close_enough_attention_

still though, i would buy an nvidia card over AMD every single time (of similar costing cards). ~ no having to screw around with AMD's crappy blob or their somewhat poor support compared to nvidia's blob.

cheerz

@michael This is the post we have all been waiting for. Interesting results and decent commentary

Did you notice radeon reach 90% of catalyst performance for Xonotic fullhd details low? This is amazing - first decent game without bottlenecks at good raw performance!

Very interesting results. I was expecting the performance of all non-compositing window managers to be the same, and it clearly isn't for AMD hardware with both the closed and open-source drivers.

Does anyone have a clue why?