Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: FUSE Gets I/O Performance Improvements

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,098

    Default FUSE Gets I/O Performance Improvements

    Phoronix: FUSE Gets I/O Performance Improvements

    The FUSE module, which allows for file-systems to be run from user-space, can now process direct I/O a-synchronously. This a-synchronous direct I/O can lead to very noticeable performance improvements for FUSE-based file-systems like ZFS...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI1MzM

  2. #2

    Default

    That's not enough.

    FUSE absolutely sucks when your IO chunk is less than a few megabytes - and even if you read/write data using large/continuous chunks of data, CPU usage is just inexcusable.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bathurst, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Please, Michael, "asynchronous" is not spelt with a hyphen.

    (and for Americans, "spelt" is the Commonwealth spelling of "spelled")

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    351

    Default functionality is good

    Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    That's not enough.

    FUSE absolutely sucks when your IO chunk is less than a few megabytes - and even if you read/write data using large/continuous chunks of data, CPU usage is just inexcusable.
    INEXCUSABLE! What a GREAT word! You say there is NO EXCUSE! Not spending tons of development time for dubious results is NO EXCUSE? REALLY?

    Since there is NO EXCUSE, not even YOUR inability to fix it is an excuse! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET ON IT! NO EXCUSES!

    Because everything that isn't 100% efficient is totally useless?

    Even though every other alternative is a tremendous pain in the butt? Really human brain cycles are free while computer cycles are most costly?

    Because you have SO MANY important things happening on your computer all at once and they can't be disrupted by anything else?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Imroy View Post
    Please, Michael, "asynchronous" is not spelt with a hyphen.

    (and for Americans, "spelt" is the Commonwealth spelling of "spelled")
    It's also a hot breakfast cereal, good with maple syrup

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frantaylor View Post
    INEXCUSABLE! What a GREAT word! You say there is NO EXCUSE! Not spending tons of development time for dubious results is NO EXCUSE? REALLY?

    Since there is NO EXCUSE, not even YOUR inability to fix it is an excuse! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET ON IT! NO EXCUSES!

    Because everything that isn't 100% efficient is totally useless?

    Even though every other alternative is a tremendous pain in the butt? Really human brain cycles are free while computer cycles are most costly?

    Because you have SO MANY important things happening on your computer all at once and they can't be disrupted by anything else?
    Pro tip: you can use
    HTML Code:
    [i]text[/i]
    to emphasise your text without resorting to all caps.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I read a news here on Phoronix about a Linux distro that used Zfs without fuse, just with an external kernel module (so it doesn't violate the CDDL/GPL licenses). It would be a good way to use it. Fuse, despite this improvements, is really slow when fs are used "seriously".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kertoxol View Post
    I read a news here on Phoronix about a Linux distro that used Zfs without fuse, just with an external kernel module (so it doesn't violate the CDDL/GPL licenses). It would be a good way to use it. Fuse, despite this improvements, is really slow when fs are used "seriously".
    I'm pretty sure it taints the kernel once you load it, and can't be distributed pre-linked.

    You personally can use it without violating the licences, and distribute either the module or kernel seperately and be okay, but you can't distribute the result of mixing the two.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frantaylor View Post
    It's also a hot breakfast cereal, good with maple syrup
    More accurately, it's a variety of wheat used in that breakfast...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •