Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canonical "Won't Fix" GTK+ Wayland For Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Default Canonical "Won't Fix" GTK+ Wayland For Ubuntu

Phoronix: Canonical "Won't Fix" GTK+ Wayland For Ubuntu

While there has been a Wayland back-end within GTK+ 3.x, Canonical won't be enabling the Wayland support within their GTK+ tool-kit package anytime soon...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI1NTI

It would always have been difficult to get wayland into main as a build dep of GTK, but it really won't be possible to have GTK+ depending on wayland.
    Why, what's so horrible about it? Need more space? The guy says "no" with such emphasis as if he's asked to sign the devil's contract.

Canonical was in favor of Wayland in 2010 but now they won't even commit to putting a wayland related flag into the compilation process, not to mention significant contribution to Wayland like patches or so. Making their iso grow from like 780 to 785MB is way over the top?
    Last edited by mark45; 12-17-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Why, what's so horrible about it? Need more space? The guy says "no" with such emphasis as if he's asked to sign the devil's contract.

Canonical was in favor of Wayland in 2010 but now they won't even commit to putting a wayland related flag into the compilation process, not to mention significant contribution to Wayland like patches or so. Making their iso grow from like 780 to 785MB is way over the top?

Not even that, we're talking about a few hundred kilobytes here. They don't need weston as a depend, they only need the wayland libraries to satisfy the wayland library dependancies in GTK!

Use QT then.

Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    Use QT then.
    Problem is this is about the desktop Linux, which pretty much equals Ubuntu which pretty much equals Gtk, like it or not. I (have to) use Gtk only because of this, otherwise I'd be using/programming QT. I think nerdopolis has the same reason.

I (have to) use Gtk only because of this, otherwise I'd be using/programming QT
    Reason? If anyone is talking about cross-platform high quality code my immediate first suggestion is QT. What makes you / your projects so special that it NEEDS to be GTK?

Problem is this is about the desktop Linux, which pretty much equals Ubuntu...
    Not in my mind it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    Use QT then.
    Is Qt different in that regard? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xCAFE View Post
    Is Qt different in that regard? I don't think so.
    Yes, Qt is different in that regard. You can use the qtwayland plugin with an already compiled version of Qt 5.x.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdopolis View Post
    Not even that, we're talking about a few hundred kilobytes here. They don't need weston as a depend, they only need the wayland libraries to satisfy the wayland library dependancies in GTK!
    They still would need to add wayland to main, put it on the CD, and make it mandatory for anyone who plans to use anything related to Gtk.