Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Digia Officially Releases Qt 5.0

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,387

    Default Digia Officially Releases Qt 5.0

    Phoronix: Digia Officially Releases Qt 5.0

    Digia has officially released the Qt 5.0 tool-kit...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI1Njg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Digia Officially Releases Qt 5.0

    Digia has officially released the Qt 5.0 tool-kit...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI1Njg
    The three major bugs is still there.

    1) Unfair licensing policies for contributions.
    2) Increasing lack of focus on Linux.
    3) Increasing lack of focus on the desktop.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    The three major bugs is still there.

    1) Unfair licensing policies for contributions.
    2) Increasing lack of focus on Linux.
    3) Increasing lack of focus on the desktop.
    Could you elaborate on these points?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BitRot View Post
    Could you elaborate on these points?
    1) If you want to contribute, you are required to allow Digia to include your code in proprietary releases of Qt. If you don't want your code to be sold in a closed-down, proprietary manner, you are not allowed to contribute code to Qt.

    2) Qt is trying to improve support for other platforms so that they reach the same level of support as they have with Linux. Some people see this as "lack of focus on Linux."

    3) There's an effort going on to make Qt run better on Android and QNX. Some people see this as "lack of focus on the Desktop."

    4) funkSTAR is our resident anti-KDE and anti-Qt troll. ;-)
    Last edited by RealNC; 12-19-2012 at 01:43 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    1) If you want to contribute, you are required to allow Digia to include your code in proprietary releases of Qt. If you don't want your code to be sold in a closed-down, proprietary manner, you are not allowed to contribute code to Qt.

    2) Qt is trying to improve support for other platforms so that they reach the same level of support as they have with Linux. Some people see this as "lack of focus on Linux."

    3) There's an effort going on to make Qt run better on Android and QNX. Some people see this as "lack of focus on the Desktop."

    4) funkSTAR is our resident anti-KDE and anti-Qt troll. ;-)
    Ah, OK.
    Thanks for the heads-up ;-)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    1) If you want to contribute, you are required to allow Digia to include your code in proprietary releases of Qt. If you don't want your code to be sold in a closed-down, proprietary manner, you are not allowed to contribute code to Qt.
    Can you show me the source of the claim please?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Can you show me the source of the claim please?
    Here goes:

    http://qt-project.org/legal.html

    The agreement itself:

    http://qt-project.org/legal/QtContri...eAgreement.pdf

    The meat of the issue is this term, in the emphasized text:

    Licensor hereby grants, in exchange for good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, to Digia a sublicensable, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free and fully paid-up copyright and trade secret license to reproduce, adapt, translate, modify, and prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, make available and distribute Licensor Contribution(s) and any derivative works thereof under license terms of Digia’s choosing including any Open Source Software license.
    Some people think that this was only due to KDE's agreement with Trolltech/Nokia/Digia to release Qt under a BSD license in case Qt was to be closed down. But this isn't the case. The agreement allows Digia to license code under *any* license, not just another Open Source license.

    However, the effect of the KDE Free Qt Foundation agreement is pretty much the same. If the code can be relicensed under BSD, that pretty much means it can than be put in closed source software.

    So the bottom line is: if you don't want your code to be BSD-style licensed and turn up using a proprietary license, you don't contribute to Qt. I suspect this would affect mostly people who are not getting paid for writing code, since this makes them look like idiots who work for free, while what they want is contributing to "make the world better" from an RMS point of view.
    Last edited by RealNC; 12-19-2012 at 02:14 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BitRot View Post
    Could you elaborate on these points?
    It is not GNOME, so he hates it.

    That will help you understand all of his other posts too. He is really consistent.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •