Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xine Now Supports VA-API, GL 2.0 Output, EAC3

Default Xine Now Supports VA-API, GL 2.0 Output, EAC3

Phoronix: Xine Now Supports VA-API, GL 2.0 Output, EAC3

A new version of xine-lib was released today, which is the library that powers the Xine multimedia playback engine. The xine-lib 1.2.3 release brings numerous features including VA-API hardware video decoding and support for OpenGL 2.0 output...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MDk

Nice, so does that mean AC3 5.1 surround will work in Kaffeine now? That's the 1 and only thing that's keeping me from switching away from VLC.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Nice, so does that mean AC3 5.1 surround will work in Kaffeine now? That's the 1 and only thing that's keeping me from switching away from VLC.
    Should have worked for a while. Are you talking "old kaffeine" or the new version that utilizes phonon's setup?

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Should have worked for a while. Are you talking "old kaffeine" or the new version that utilizes phonon's setup?
    I think Kaffeine switched back to depend directly on Xine three and a half years ago during 1.0-pre3.

The new one, as far as I'm aware (I'm using Arch). Right now I'm using the VLC backend for phonon, since the xine backend doesn't seem to have proper surround or SPDIF support. I have the Realtek 889A driver.

The latest version of Kaffeine is 1.2.2. It is from april 2011 and still depends on xinelib 1.1. That's why I have to use Xine-UI on current Ubutnu to watch VDR (DVB-S). Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    The new one, as far as I'm aware (I'm using Arch). Right now I'm using the VLC backend for phonon, since the xine backend doesn't seem to have proper surround or SPDIF support. I have the Realtek 889A driver.
    Well that would be more of an issue with the Xine phonon plugin (which does not expose all of the xine engines capabilities) and not Xine itself which has been able to handle surround and spdif just fine for ages. To get passthrough to work with the xine back end you have to manually edit the config file .config/kde-org/Phonon-Xine.xine.conf and add audio.output.speaker_arrangement:PassThrough.
    Last edited by deanjo; 05-29-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Well that would be more of an issue with the Xine phonon plugin (which does not expose all of the xine engines capabilities) and not Xine itself which has been able to handle surround and spdif just fine for ages.
    I figured, but if I'm using the VLC backend now then why does it still not work? Also, my .asoundrc says to use SPDIF.

Well that would be more of an issue with the Xine phonon plugin (which does not expose all of the xine engines capabilities) and not Xine itself which has been able to handle surround and spdif just fine for ages.
    Afaik phonon-xine has been deprecated(2011) for ages now, it will not even work with newer phonon at all.

Quote Originally Posted by edgar_wibeau View Post
    The latest version of Kaffeine is 1.2.2. It is from april 2011 and still depends on xinelib 1.1. That's why I have to use Xine-UI on current Ubutnu to watch VDR (DVB-S). Very sad.
    Krhm that's ubuntu's fault. Kaffeine 1.2.2 can be compiled againts xine-lib 1.2, and it will work just fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tuke81 View Post
    Afaik phonon-xine has been deprecated(2011) for ages now, it will not even work with newer phonon at all.

Krhm that's ubuntu's fault. Kaffeine 1.2.2 can be compiled againts xine-lib 1.2, and it will work just fine with it.
    Hmm, good to know. Thanks for the info. Hopefully if Arch updated xine-lib today, I can try Kaffeine again and see if it surround works; not going to keep my hopes up though.