Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: NetBSD 6.0.1 Released, Brings Bug-Fixes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,691

    Default NetBSD 6.0.1 Released, Brings Bug-Fixes

    Phoronix: NetBSD 6.0.1 Released, Brings Bug-Fixes

    For those of you currently on NetBSD 6.0 or are using NetBSD 5.x as your operating system but have been wanting a reason to upgrade, the first NetBSD 6.0.x point release has surfaced...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2Mjc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    579

    Default

    And now, for the sake of god and the universe I kindly ask: Who the fuck is using this operating system?


    Thanks for the reply, also in case someone says "I am! it's me!", be sure to explain WHY THE FUCK YOU ARE USING IT.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    And now, for the sake of god and the universe I kindly ask: Who the fuck is using this operating system?
    Thanks for the reply, also in case someone says "I am! it's me!", be sure to explain WHY THE FUCK YOU ARE USING IT.
    How old are you? Does it really bother you that much? There probably aren't a lot of NetBSD users in the phoronix community (partially because of people like you), but do you really have to troll every news item you don't care about?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    How old are you? Does it really bother you that much? There probably aren't a lot of NetBSD users in the phoronix community (partially because of people like you), but do you really have to troll every news item you don't care about?
    it called a specialized OS. there are literally dozens. in the light of this, its linux that looks silly and pointless. it strives to be a general purpose OS, but is crap for the average user because of lack of apps, useesotericworkarounds, biannualforceddeathmarch, stableapiabinonsense. with the way gnome is heading with nautilus and whatnot, windows 8 (which is a usability clusterf***) looks like a freaking powerhouse next to it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    306

    Default

    I've used netbsd mainly for fun. I run it on my SparcStations. I also run Gentoo, Redhat 5.2 and OpenBSD on them. OpenBSD is alot nicer out of the box acutally but NetBSD tends to have a bit more hardware supported and has SMP for 32 bit Sparc so it sorta depends on the particular box I want to run it on.

    For instance SparcStation LX is a clear candidate for Linux or OpenBSD as it is a uniprocessor box. Whereas a SparcStation 20 with dual 150Mhz HyperSparcs would be better off with Linux or NetBSD both of which support SMP. That said Linux is a bit of a pain to deal with upgrades as stuff breaks alot like upgrading to glibc 2.15 ... sunrpc got ripped out so I haven't sorted that out yet probably simpler to just cross compile at this point.

    And yeah I have extra disk space setup via my regular workstation which proviles a several Gb NBD mount that my box can mount over the network.... if only BSD supported NBD that would be so nice.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Because of its simplicity, portability, and clean code, NetBSD is used heavily in embedded development. Pretty much any Apple embedded device (Time Capsule, etc.) uses it. I believe NASA also uses it for some embedded systems that need to go into space.

    NetBSD may be old, and lack features that a desktop user would want, but it is stable and has very clean and portable code. It's the closest you get these days to an old-style UNIX OS.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    579

    Default

    Thanks for the replies. To "DanL", if you carefully read my post I NEVER said "netbsd sucks and is pointless". I asked, in a harsh way yes, what's the point of netbsd and so if someone is actually using it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    27

    Thumbs down NetBSD IS UNEEDED

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    And now, for the sake of god and the universe I kindly ask: Who the fuck is using this operating system?


    Thanks for the reply, also in case someone says "I am! it's me!", be sure to explain WHY THE FUCK YOU ARE USING IT.
    NO ONE SANE WOULD USE THIS IS SHIT FACE, CRAP, SHIT, SHITTERMANIC OS. Only retards, freedom haters and ASSHOLES and those like BDSM from M$ and apple.

    Frankly I don't see why the shit does this bunch of retards continue to release suck a unless OS they only shit people uses when they could just be productive and create their own linux distro.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    How old are you? Does it really bother you that much? There probably aren't a lot of NetBSD users in the phoronix community (partially because of people like you), but do you really have to troll every news item you don't care about?
    I DISAGREE, when bulletxt ask this question, it's reasonable and those people who use such a pointless OS (BSD) have no justification to. They are the ones who should be ask how old are they.

    There aren't a lot of NetBSD user in the phoronix becuase there AREN'T A LOT OF NETBSD USERS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default Are you fucking kidding me?

    Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    it called a specialized OS. there are literally dozens. in the light of this, its linux that looks silly and pointless. it strives to be a general purpose OS, but is crap for the average user because of lack of apps, useesotericworkarounds, biannualforceddeathmarch, stableapiabinonsense. with the way gnome is heading with nautilus and whatnot, windows 8 (which is a usability clusterf***) looks like a freaking powerhouse next to it.
    WTF!!??, Linux is far more useful then NetBSD. All NetBSD does is just boots up on as many systems as it can and on majority of those systems, it is useless as it does not have FUCKING DRIVERS to use their features (touchscreen etc.) while Linux on the other hand works and is useable on literally all the platforms it is ported to.

    http://www.wil.cx/matthew/netbsd_vs_linux.html

    This is why you never see a smart phone running NetBSD and being usable which by contrast Linux has done.

    Whats more is that NetBSD is not the king of portability, Linux is.

    http://www.kroah.com/log/2004/09/29/#more_archs

    Go eat shit NetBSD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •