Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Multi-Process Support For GTK's HTTP Back-End

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,911

    Default Multi-Process Support For GTK's HTTP Back-End

    Phoronix: Multi-Process Support For GTK's HTTP Back-End

    Broadway, the HTML5 back-end for GTK3 that allows GTK applications to be rendered within a modern web-browser and served via a server, now has support for initiating multiple processes. The Broadway multi-process support is similar to running an X11 Server session with multiple windows...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2Mjg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Now run a panel instead of a terminal and sell thin clients for it.


    Whooooooo GREAT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Well, there is your wayland remote desktop solution...

    Btw, I lolled at the Gimp splashscreen (Goat invasion!)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    Well, there is your wayland remote desktop solution...

    Btw, I lolled at the Gimp splashscreen (Goat invasion!)
    That's what the current master for 2.10 used to be called when a branch, IIRC.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,062

    Default Really cool!

    How does this work?
    Is it HTML, CSS and JavaScript?
    Or is it HTML5 canvas and JavaScript?

    Can it run gnome-shell? Like a whole GNOME desktop in the browser?
    What about GDM so you can login as any user?

    This would be awesome to run on a server in the cloud.
    Great for thin clients. Great to introduce people to GNOME who never tried it before, just give them an URL.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    Well, there is your wayland remote desktop solution...
    Speaking of Wayland remoting, I have come across some Microsoft patents filed between 2008 and 2011, related to the Remote Desktop Protocol describing the intented remoting solution for wayland. I hope devs read them carefully so they can come up with a solution that circunvents them.
    Last edited by newwen; 12-28-2012 at 06:23 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    How does this work?
    Is it HTML, CSS and JavaScript?
    Or is it HTML5 canvas and JavaScript?
    HTML5 canvas + JS (websockets).


    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Can it run gnome-shell? Like a whole GNOME desktop in the browser?
    What about GDM so you can login as any user?
    No.
    No.
    And No.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    I would like Gnome to go further with HTMLv5 and beat Tizen and BlackBerry 10's browser, so that HTML5 webapps or local, can access the webcam and what have you...

    Then we have a real 'API' everybody supports. Apps, then, can be run on everything, and every important app in Gnome.

    If we may believe Steve Wozniak, who works in the internet (read=cloud) business, then there is a shift going on, that enables devices to become interactive over HTML5, by means of mobile phones. That's also what Apple has been working on with their upcomming TV, where the iPhones works as a remote controll for it. (There's a patent somewhere)

    Imagine a beamer/large screen in a conference room, where everybody can interact with a local webapp on their mobile phone, for collaboration. That would be a giant boost for IT.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newwen View Post
    Speaking of Wayland remoting, I have come across some Microsoft patents filed between 2008 and 2011, related to the Remote Desktop Protocol describing the intented remoting solution for wayland. I hope devs read them carefully so they can come up with a solution that circunvents them.
    Even though this might be OT, i would really like to hear more about this.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    Even though this might be OT, i would really like to hear more about this.
    +1 , I also don't see how there could be patents that block remote Wayland since you have alternatives like x11vnc, freenx and of course X11 remote as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •