Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Features Being Planned For HTML5 GTK+

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    The problem with GTK+ is has never been the license, but that its developers are hostile to other free software projects out there. GTK was taken over by people whose chief motivation has always been to kill any competing desktop.
    Right... Then name who and when this take over took place. The current status hasnt changed for a decade or so; GTK is the only truly free option out there. Yeah theming and compability to shitty freetardware built on commercial toolkits (with occational evil takeovers) leave alot to be desired. But so what? If a bunch of idiot are confused enough to buy in to the "assign your freedom/copyright/mom to some random commercial entity" then there is nothing to about that.

    Qt exists because of the dual license business (screwing over freedom).
    GTK exists because a free toolkit wih a suitable API and focus on the linux desktop is needed.

    BTW I suggest you go read LWN, they have a real nice featured article about CA and how stupid it is. And yes suggesting other free software users and developers to go sign such shitty anti-freedom contracts is just RUDE. Whats next? Do you recommend to go buy a device with IOS?

    Or are you dreaming the "Kubuntu crack pipe dream"of a Qt-future where all Canonical apps are running on top? Let me summarize that for you;

    Canonical App(CA)
    Qt(CLA)
    Whatever kernel(Whatever commercial Qt focuses on)

    That would be a so-called free software world where everything could be closed source by the command of a few business men. Grow some balls and a spine.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    There is this concept called forking.
    Yeah. And that concept is followed by yet a million hours of wasted effort and bitter NIH flames. Forking to correct skewed license policies is really a sad chapter in our history. I guess the only ones laughing are Ballmer and Cook. No the world will just keep spining and the free software ecosystem will get more and more divided by a few companies' eager to fucking the freedom by using CA for commercial reasons.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Right... Then name who and when this take over took place. The current status hasnt changed for a decade or so
    Yes, the change took place when GTK was chosen as the basis for the new "our mission is to kill KDE" desktop.

    Before that, it was the toolkit developed for the GIMP.

    And yes suggesting other free software users and developers to go sign such shitty anti-freedom contracts is just RUDE. Whats next? Do you recommend to go buy a device with IOS?
    I'm not suggesting anything. Qt has always been corporate-developed, but for a really long time now it has been Free Software, as in GPL Free.

    And around this Free Software toolkit, an excellent Free desktop has developed, which has been innovating until today. If you don't like it, use knock-offs. It's your right
    Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 12-31-2012 at 07:48 AM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Yeah. And that concept is followed by yet a million hours of wasted effort and bitter NIH flames.
    You say this, yet the GNOME leadership has led the project to the point where it is one of the most forked projects ever. All because of lack of vision and flexibility.

    Now if you want to run a GTK desktop, you have to pick between GNOME Shell, Unity, Mate, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXDE.

    A little bit of flexibility would have prevented most of this splintering. All of these were over things that went directly against the wishes of the community.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Yes, the change took place when GTK was chosen as the basis for the new "our mission is to kill KDE" desktop.
    LOL. No one tries to kill KDE. First of all it is doing a great job of killing it self and secondly freedom loving people are busy doing something else than using the Qtrap. What do U expect? Full embracement of Qt, Apple and so on? No thank you.


    I'm not suggesting anything. Qt has always been corporate-developed, but for a really long time now it has been Free Software, as in GPL Free.
    ORLY? Will the accept a GPLed patch? Hell no.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    You say this, yet the GNOME leadership has led the project to the point where it is one of the most forked projects ever. All because of lack of vision and flexibility.

    Now if you want to run a GTK desktop, you have to pick between GNOME Shell, Unity, Mate, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXDE.

    A little bit of flexibility would have prevented most of this splintering. All of these were over things that went directly against the wishes of the community.
    Gnome being forked only tells you it is worth forking. Hell most forks are just shitty people who wants the fame.

    Some ladies are too ugly to rape, and some DEs are too shitty to fork.
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 12-31-2012 at 08:44 AM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    LOL. No one tries to kill KDE. First of all it is doing a great job of killing it self and secondly freedom loving people are busy doing something else than using the Qtrap. What do U expect? Full embracement of Qt, Apple and so on? No thank you.
    I expect fully embracing Microsoft Dot Net, like the founder of the GNOME project, and I also expect making it a part of the default GNOME installation.

    ORLY? Will the accept a GPLed patch? Hell no.
    Will GTK guys? What happened to GTK-Qt then? That's GPL.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    some DEs are too shitty to fork.
    Not to shitty to shamelessly copy, though.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Not to shitty to shamelessly copy, though.
    Sure. Ideas are free to copy. KDEs shitty code is not worth copying due to Qt-deps. And it is only getting worse! The shitty but free kdelibs are going down the drain due to shit coders leaving shity KDE. A future KDE app is plain Qt app. The much thinner future framwwork for KDE only spells motre deps on the freedom hating Qt. Nice for Qt, not nice for the freedom.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Sure. Ideas are free to copy. KDEs shitty code is not worth copying due to Qt-deps. And it is only getting worse! The shitty but free kdelibs are going down the drain due to shit coders leaving shity KDE. A future KDE app is plain Qt app. The much thinner future framwwork for KDE only spells motre deps on the freedom hating Qt. Nice for Qt, not nice for the freedom.
    If you want to become a good troll, you should sublimely intertwine bullshit with facts.

    Right now, you are writing stuff which is 100% the opposite of truth, so nobody will take you seriously. In reality, KDE has always provided functionality that was used by applications, while GNOME has mostly been a panel for starting pure GTK apps. And non-GTK apps like OpenOffice and Firefox.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •