Thread: Rekonq 2.0 KDE Web-Browser Brings New Features

Hybrid View

Default Rekonq 2.0 KDE Web-Browser Brings New Features

Phoronix: Rekonq 2.0 KDE Web-Browser Brings New Features

Rekonq, the lightweight KDE web-browser that's built atop WebKit, has seen its stable 2.0 release this weekend...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2NTA

Open blog post
    Open screenshot
    See no menu bar
    Close tab

The wording is a bit misleading. Rekonq already had an incognito mode. I guess they just reworked that into being more chrome-like. Whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by pankkake View Post
    Open blog post
    Open screenshot
    See no menu bar
    Close tab
    It looks like Chrome to me. Minimalistic interfaces are the new design trend nowadays and removing options a feature. I have always critisized Windows 8 for removing features, but linux desktops are following the same trend.

Default Extensions

Does it support extensions?

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Does it support extensions?
    No.
    And that's why chrome can make such a minimal UI: it gives the user the possibility to extend the browser to its needs.
    I also stopped using rekonq some time ago, because it got locked for seconds for no (obvious) reason, and the way too many ads passed the adblock. I am currently using qupzilla+chromium.

Default parallelised browser?

Are there any parallelised browsers ? That can use multiple cores to render a page? (Firefox Servo is one such example, but its no more than a prototype currently).

Quote Originally Posted by newwen View Post
    It looks like Chrome to me. Minimalistic interfaces are the new design trend nowadays and removing options a feature. I have always critisized Windows 8 for removing features, but linux desktops are following the same trend.
    Rekonq is a browser, not a Linux desktop. It has nothing directly to do with any KDE desktop – not even the involved developers: Rekonq is a one man project, done by someone who is not involved with any KDE desktop component (not even KDEWebKit).
    KDE’s default browser – to this day – is Konqueror.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Rekonq is a browser, not a Linux desktop. It has nothing directly to do with any KDE desktop – not even the involved developers: Rekonq is a one man project, done by someone who is not involved with any KDE desktop component (not even KDEWebKit).
    KDE’s default browser – to this day – is Konqueror.
    Also:

people should note that all KDE applications can hide the menubar by pressing Ctrl+M. I hide it all the time in apps to save space, but you can always bring it back if you need to use it.

It's possible that Rekonq in the screenshots is simply doing this.

Nope, but that's the whole point of Rekonq existence. Different, more modern UI
    All the web-rendering is done by kde-webkit kpart (kinda wrapped qtwebkit). KDE browsers (both konqueror and rekonq) are just ui + additional goodies like adblock and dev tools.
    If anyone wanna menus and oldchool ui - just use konqueror with webkit kpart.
    Multi-threaded rendering iirc is webkit2 feature, so we have to wait for qt5-based release.