Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Linux-Based Steam Console Reaffirmed For This Year

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,378

    Default Linux-Based Steam Console Reaffirmed For This Year

    Phoronix: Linux-Based Steam Console Reaffirmed For This Year

    As said a few times already, this year will be marked by the release of a Linux-based Steam hardware gaming console out of Valve...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2NTk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42

    Default

    What I don't understand with this Steam Linux console what games will it run? Have they ported their 2500 games over using some proprietary wine solution?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
    What I don't understand with this Steam Linux console what games will it run? Have they ported their 2500 games over using some proprietary wine solution?
    I hope they'll at least port the most important and famous games. However, I don't understand why some of the games already ported to Linux aren't available on Steam yet. Like those from humble bundle 7.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    I hope they'll at least port the most important and famous games. However, I don't understand why some of the games already ported to Linux aren't available on Steam yet. Like those from humble bundle 7.
    But Valve has no control over other publishers content. It is in the end Ubisoft that has to deceide if the for example want to port their AC franchise to Linux. It just at least to seems like a huge amount of porting work that will years until it is complete and at that point the Steam console maybe completely irrelevant.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default "years" come on

    Quote Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
    But Valve has no control over other publishers content. It is in the end Ubisoft that has to deceide if the for example want to port their AC franchise to Linux. It just at least to seems like a huge amount of porting work that will years until it is complete and at that point the Steam console maybe completely irrelevant.
    IMHO I believe that a steam box based on linux can be nothing but good news. I highly doubt they will need to port every title to be competitive, and even if they did who said it would take years. Maybe if it was just one person doing the work. The game franchises you speak of have teams of people! TEAMS. It wont take years, come on.

    Of course this is my opinion.


    I will buy two steambox's at least!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    906

    Default

    Great!

    Now, let's hope they don't use anything from Canonical.
    But sure, this thing most likely will run Ubuntu. :/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
    But Valve has no control over other publishers content. It is in the end Ubisoft that has to deceide if the for example want to port their AC franchise to Linux. It just at least to seems like a huge amount of porting work that will years until it is complete and at that point the Steam console maybe completely irrelevant.
    DING DING DING.

    Valve might port its stuff, but all those other games aren't getting ported. So we're talking, what, 20 games in all here?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    I hope they'll at least port the most important and famous games. However, I don't understand why some of the games already ported to Linux aren't available on Steam yet. Like those from humble bundle 7.
    I really hope they work with Wine or the developers to make it easy to setup Windows games that aren't ported to Linux yet. Like confirming which version of Wine works and automatically downloading and installing it for that game. Each Windows game should come with it's own Wine essentially to maximize compatibility.

    That would ease the transition to Linux, cause I don't see developers porting old games that aren't profitable.
    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 01-01-2013 at 11:44 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I really hope they work with Wine or the developers to make it easy to setup Windows games that aren't ported to Linux yet. Like confirming which version of Wine works and automatically downloading and installing it for that game. Each Windows game should come with it's own Wine essentially to maximize compatibility.

    That would ease the transition to Linux, cause I don't see developers porting old games that aren't profitable.
    I could be wrong, but I think Limbo is just using a wine wrapper, and that's in Steam. At least I had read that the Humble Indie Bundle of Limbo did.

    Personally I hope they don't resort to Wine for much. They really do need to get as many native games as they possibly can. If they start allowing Wine, then far too many companies will just take the lazy way out. "Well it works on version x.xx of Wine, let's just leave that installed. Oh, there is a x.xx+ version of wine that provides a performance boost? Meh, let's not spend the time to fix what bugs a newer install of wine will bring..."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leech View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think Limbo is just using a wine wrapper, and that's in Steam. At least I had read that the Humble Indie Bundle of Limbo did.

    Personally I hope they don't resort to Wine for much. They really do need to get as many native games as they possibly can. If they start allowing Wine, then far too many companies will just take the lazy way out. "Well it works on version x.xx of Wine, let's just leave that installed. Oh, there is a x.xx+ version of wine that provides a performance boost? Meh, let's not spend the time to fix what bugs a newer install of wine will bring..."
    what do you expect ?? codeweavers did the limbo crossover port FFS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •