Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux-Based Steam Console Reaffirmed For This Year

Hybrid View

Default Linux-Based Steam Console Reaffirmed For This Year

Phoronix: Linux-Based Steam Console Reaffirmed For This Year

As said a few times already, this year will be marked by the release of a Linux-based Steam hardware gaming console out of Valve...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2NTk

What I don't understand with this Steam Linux console what games will it run? Have they ported their 2500 games over using some proprietary wine solution?

Quote Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
    What I don't understand with this Steam Linux console what games will it run? Have they ported their 2500 games over using some proprietary wine solution?
    I hope they'll at least port the most important and famous games. However, I don't understand why some of the games already ported to Linux aren't available on Steam yet. Like those from humble bundle 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    I hope they'll at least port the most important and famous games. However, I don't understand why some of the games already ported to Linux aren't available on Steam yet. Like those from humble bundle 7.
    But Valve has no control over other publishers content. It is in the end Ubisoft that has to deceide if the for example want to port their AC franchise to Linux. It just at least to seems like a huge amount of porting work that will years until it is complete and at that point the Steam console maybe completely irrelevant.

Default "years" come on

But Valve has no control over other publishers content. It is in the end Ubisoft that has to deceide if the for example want to port their AC franchise to Linux. It just at least to seems like a huge amount of porting work that will years until it is complete and at that point the Steam console maybe completely irrelevant.
    IMHO I believe that a steam box based on linux can be nothing but good news. I highly doubt they will need to port every title to be competitive, and even if they did who said it would take years. Maybe if it was just one person doing the work. The game franchises you speak of have teams of people! TEAMS. It wont take years, come on.

Of course this is my opinion.

I will buy two steambox's at least!

Great!

Now, let's hope they don't use anything from Canonical.
    But sure, this thing most likely will run Ubuntu. :/

DING DING DING.

Valve might port its stuff, but all those other games aren't getting ported. So we're talking, what, 20 games in all here?

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    I really hope they work with Wine or the developers to make it easy to setup Windows games that aren't ported to Linux yet. Like confirming which version of Wine works and automatically downloading and installing it for that game. Each Windows game should come with it's own Wine essentially to maximize compatibility.

That would ease the transition to Linux, cause I don't see developers porting old games that aren't profitable.
    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 01-01-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I really hope they work with Wine or the developers to make it easy to setup Windows games that aren't ported to Linux yet. Like confirming which version of Wine works and automatically downloading and installing it for that game. Each Windows game should come with it's own Wine essentially to maximize compatibility.

That would ease the transition to Linux, cause I don't see developers porting old games that aren't profitable.
    I could be wrong, but I think Limbo is just using a wine wrapper, and that's in Steam. At least I had read that the Humble Indie Bundle of Limbo did.

Personally I hope they don't resort to Wine for much. They really do need to get as many native games as they possibly can. If they start allowing Wine, then far too many companies will just take the lazy way out. "Well it works on version x.xx of Wine, let's just leave that installed. Oh, there is a x.xx+ version of wine that provides a performance boost? Meh, let's not spend the time to fix what bugs a newer install of wine will bring..."

Quote Originally Posted by leech View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think Limbo is just using a wine wrapper, and that's in Steam. At least I had read that the Humble Indie Bundle of Limbo did.

Personally I hope they don't resort to Wine for much. They really do need to get as many native games as they possibly can. If they start allowing Wine, then far too many companies will just take the lazy way out. "Well it works on version x.xx of Wine, let's just leave that installed. Oh, there is a x.xx+ version of wine that provides a performance boost? Meh, let's not spend the time to fix what bugs a newer install of wine will bring..."
    what do you expect ?? codeweavers did the limbo crossover port FFS.