Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60

Thread: Windows is dying

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    Windows will die when pigs grow wings and fly.

    Just Visual Studio, Microsoft SQL Server and Active Directory
    Your argument is circular. Those exist strictly to support themselves. To employ a circular counter argument, as they become less relevant, they become less relevant.

    To use a non-circular argument, as regular people stop using MS platforms, the MS "infrastructure" in place to support MS platforms becomes less relevant and therefore less used.

    are more than enough to keep Windows alive as both a client and server operating system for another two decades at the very least. And those are only 3 of many other top-grade Windows-only software that Microsoft has published for Windows.
    There isn't anything "top grade" about those. MS really doesn't offer anything that doesn't exist strictly for the support of themselves (circular). Not a single one of their products can't be replaced by superior alternatives. People use those for the same reason why teenage girls and the people who sit at starbukks buy apple; because that is what they know as "cool" as a result of it being pushed on them by aggressive and deceptive marketing.

    The move towards super-mobile computing (and away from MS) automatically makes rational people AVOID the example products you suggest since they are basically incompatible and/or useless.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Just let Aaron Contorer, senior management Microsoft's head of C++ development, speak:


    Of course windows will not die in the near future but for some reason they got so much public criticism in the last few months that there is a real chance that they lose enough so that linux can get actually significant "market share".
    Except that now their customers are being FORCED AWAY from MS, and to take on that huge expense of transitioning to other platforms. If a software company makes software that won't work on their customers' devices (now almost at the point where it is most likely Android), then they won't have any customers left. This FORCES them to make this transition, at least into the realm of supporting multiple platforms and shedding the legacy code that sticks them with MS. Yes, it is an expensive and slow process, but one that MUST be done for survival.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolas View Post
    Either all your friends are geeks or just looks around. There is no way that 1/10 th is linux maybe 1/30 or so. In fact most of my non geek friends dont run it. I dont even "force" them because I know that they want to play games and linux is mess. Only if they use facebook and watch youtube then I recomend using linux.
    Those are not "10% of my friends" figures. That figure is straight from MS themselves.

    And most people who play games... buy a console. Your typical home desktop computer is used for web browsing, looking at pictures, email/communications, and maybe word processing. In fact, most home users are FAR happier with Linux than MS for this simple reason; reliability. Most users still use MS simply because they don't even realize that there are alternatives! They tend to be aware of apple, but at a price premium of a factor of 5, there are only a few who are pissed off enough to bother, and when they do, a lot of them find it so impossible to use that they quickly jump back -- apple's goofy UI and poor organization is the big reason why they are stuck at or below 10%. EVERY person who I've suggested Linux to... loves it. Why? Because it **just works**. No futzing with drivers for 3 days, no 15 layers of non-functional anti-virus to protect it, no massive performance problems due to 15 layers of anti-virus protection, no catching a virus 3 weeks later despite all the anti-virus and having to wipe and reload.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    there must be something in the water because phoronix posters are becoming increasingly more and more retarded.


    Windows will not die on the PC because it has infected the PC ecosystem so much that it would take the entire ecosystem to die in order for windows to disappear.


    Windows 8 is a piece of shit, but then again so was vista,bob, etc etc etc

    MICROSOFT COULDN'T GIVE A SHIT, next year they'll just release

    WINDOWS 9 without metro and EVERY FUCKING RETARD WILL PRAISE IT LIKE THEY DID WITH WIN7

    AS LONG AS new laptops/desktops/pcs SHIP WITH WINDOWS BY DEFAULT EVERY FUCKING RETARD WILL CONTINUE TO USE IT


    get that tru your fucking retarded skulls that people STICK WITH whatever OS came BUNDLED with their computer.

    WHY THE FUCK DO YOU THINK XP IS STILL THE MOST WIDELY USED OS?



    Only when the PC dies will Windows DIE... and microsoft knows this and that's why they wanted to infect the tablets/smartphones just like they did the PC's

    it didn't work BECAUSE there are actually GOOD alternatives in the tablet/smartphone ecosystem and because WINDOWS 8 IS A PIECE OF SHIT that even shit-eating-mongoloid retards avoid.
    The missing fact that leads you to believe this screaming mess is that smartphones/tablets are nearly a 100% replacement for desktop PC's for "regular" users. It is because of that, that the desktop IS dying, and it is BECAUSE the desktop is dying that MS must suffer and possibly die.

    In fact, I don't mind if MS doesn't die, I just want their [P]OS to die. If they move strictly into competing against other "application" software developers, I would be very happy, because there will at least be competition and freedom of choice.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    However, Windows was kind of late in the mobile market. What if they were the first? Do you dare to assert that people would not by any tablets and smartphones because it has Windows on it? Doubt it.
    Uh.... HUH???
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mobile#History

    They got a jump on ALL the current big players in the mobile market. You actually could legitimately say that compared to everybody STILL IN BUSINESS, they WERE first.

    They beat GOOGLE out of the gate by MORE THAN A DECADE!!!!

    In fact, of the three most noteworthy platforms, Google stepped in to the market LAST, yet stands VASTLY ahead of everyone else.

    Furthermore, if people are locked in to the Windows monopoly. Why do I see more and more people chosing Apple? My parents are considering it as well.
    Actually, fewer and fewer people are choosing apple. Apple peaked in 2007, falling ever since. What are they now, falling towards 10%-ish?

    Conclusion, people don't care. If a relative is able to send and receive e-mails with you, who cares what OS generated it? If you can do your banking online, who cares what OS drives the browser? Microsoft is giving people what they want. An easy way to use a computer. I dare to say that I will never touch a computer if my dad successfully completes a git bisect session.
    Actually, no, people certainly do care. They want to actually be able to reliably have the damned thing actually do the job they need it for, not randomly blue screen and delete all their data. MS is a very unreliable platform and that pisses people off. They therefore try ANY alternative that they KNOW ABOUT in order to avoid what they HATE.

    And as for the viruses and hackers that steal people's money, the user get's the blame. That is just brilliant. People don't know how it works, but they still want it. So *any* negative outcome is blamed on them. You did not install proper anti virus! You did not install a good firewall! You don't update often enough! You click on links without thinking! No one ever mentioned that once we got our first PC + dial up...

    And then comes the geek: You should do it competely differently! Install another OS! Learn to use a terminal! (To do what? The end-user might think)

    I would turn nuts...
    This is not the dark ages. The typical user who is saddled with wondoze for 5+ years definitely KNOWS how to reinstall their OS, or knows someone who will do so for them at fairly regular intervals. All it takes is a simple suggestion; next time you need a reinstall, try XX linux distro. Just pop in the disk, boot and follow the directions. When its done, you can click on stuff with your mouse and never even touch a terminal.

    Its only the tweaker/geek that NEEDS the terminal. Your typical home user who doesn't have 5 degrees in comp sci. can get by BETTER in Linux than in wondoze and never open a terminal.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    rexilion are you dyslexic?

    WTF DID I WRITE? TELL ME WTF DID I WRITE?


    People will buy their shitty laptops/tablets/smartphones AND FUCKING USE THE OS THAT THEY COME WITH
    People don't give a flying fuck about fucking laptops any fucking more, they'll buy tablets/smartphones and fucking use whatever the fucking fuck they fucking come the fuck with, which isn't fucking microfuck.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    I said that my parents are considering buying a Mac.
    Because they're fucking pissed off at fucking microfuck? In other words, they fucking care what fucking platform is fucking with them so they're fucking saying 'fuck you' to fucking microfuck and switching to the only fucking platform that they've fucking heard the fuck about. Right? Fuck yeah.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Uh.... HUH???
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mobile#History

    They got a jump on ALL the current big players in the mobile market. You actually could legitimately say that compared to everybody STILL IN BUSINESS, they WERE first.

    They beat GOOGLE out of the gate by MORE THAN A DECADE!!!!

    In fact, of the three most noteworthy platforms, Google stepped in to the market LAST, yet stands VASTLY ahead of everyone else.
    I should have elaborated on this. Windows mobile is, in my opinion, mostly a business system. Only since the introduction of Windows 8 it is taking the tablet and handheld devices as a serious market for consumers. Yes, this is my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    This is not the dark ages. The typical user who is saddled with wondoze for 5+ years definitely KNOWS how to reinstall their OS, or knows someone who will do so for them at fairly regular intervals.
    You would be suprised. Most people just buy a new one and think the hardware slowing down.

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    All it takes is a simple suggestion; next time you need a reinstall, try XX linux distro. Just pop in the disk, boot and follow the directions. When its done, you can click on stuff with your mouse and never even touch a terminal.

    Its only the tweaker/geek that NEEDS the terminal. Your typical home user who doesn't have 5 degrees in comp sci. can get by BETTER in Linux than in wondoze and never open a terminal.
    As Linux stands now, I will never recommend it to anyone. No Shockwave, no moonlight (school websites rely on it, really...), no 3D accel, no full .docx compat, no proper clipboard (as in Windows), bad power management, unsupported Epson printers, no seamless MTP support (even the standard), no proper Apple device support (altough this is getting better), no iTunes, no accelerated Flash, scanning (goes through Xsane which I can work with but it's not really user friendly) and many more nitpicks... . There is just too much just a little off to propose Linux.

    And don't forget all the small Windows apps you might occasionally need which don't work under wine.

    Altough things are progressing, people want their stuff to work NOW! A promise that LibreOffice 5 (or even 4) will flawlessly open their .docx will not help them. And explaining them the difference between an regular mass storage USB and something which uses MTP, I'm not even starting on that one... hehe.

    Response to post #27: They are considering a Mac, since relatives and friends recommended it. They wanted to stay with Microsoft, however I said that they don't since they don't rely on a Windows specific piece of software. They would not even consider buying a Mac if I did not mention that. Windows 'just worked' for them. We had some issue's with it, but you could consider it like buying a qualitative bad car that needs a lot of maintanence.
    Last edited by Rexilion; 01-07-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Response to post #27

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    825

    Default

    One more thing to add is that folks migrating away are developing a feedback loop.

    As customers leave in numbers, Microsoft is forced to raise prices in order to maintain their quarterly profit numbers. http://semiaccurate.com/2012/12/03/s...ces-radically/
    This in turn means that more customers are leaving which makes Microsoft squeeze the remaining ones even harder. Except for the poor souls who cannot go anywhere else, everybody who is not totally blind already have or are busy developing plans for a migration away from Microsoft.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Boy, you are all missing the boat entirely: Desktops and laptops are dead; Long live Tablets and Smartphones.

    Point being, business is moving to virtualize everything. That .exe file? Its going to kick of a VM thats basically a reduced version of windows specifically optimized for that one app. Same for other OS's. Everything is going to be a virtual instance of an OS.

    Point being: Every OS is going to be more or less obsolete within a decade as far as the end user is concerned. The real battle will be between the best VM, not the best OS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •