Electronic Frontier Foundation Patent Reform Petition
Sign it here: https://defendinnovation.org/ below is the foundations seven goals.
The patent system is in crisis, and it endangers the future of software development in the United States. Let's create a system that defends innovation, instead of hindering it.
1. A patent covering software should be shorter: no more than five years from the application date.
2. If the patent is invalid or there's no infringement, the trolls should have to pay the legal fees.
3. Patent applicants should be required to provide an example of running software code for each claim in the patent.
4. Infringers should avoid liability if they independently arrive at the patented invention.
5. Patents and licenses should be public right away. Patent owners should be required to keep their public records up-to-date.
6. The law should limit damages so that a patent owner can't collect millions if the patent represented only a tiny fraction of a defendant's product.
7. Congress should commission a study and hold hearings to examine whether software patents actually benefit our economy at all.
To see the EFF's review of the patent system in relation to software at the end of 2012 see: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/1...-reform-exists
I concur with the all the points you stated and these points should be brought in action. Others too should get a chance to make an invention which might be better than its previous version.