Thread: A Tour Of Sun's Project Indiana Preview 2

Default A Tour Of Sun's Project Indiana Preview 2

Phoronix: A Tour Of Sun's Project Indiana Preview 2

A week ago we reported that a second preview release of Project Indiana, Sun's attempt at creating an operating system for the desktop based upon OpenSolaris and led by Ian Murdock, was on track to be released in the near future. Thursday afternoon that became true with the test image surfacing for Developer Preview 2 of Project Indiana, or what will formally be called OpenSolaris. Officially, this new release is known as the OpenSolaris Developer Preview 1/08 edition. The general availability release of Project Indiana is expected in March, but today we have up a tour of this new Indiana release.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11783

i thought that sun is adopting packagekit (or at least the frontend) for their packetmanager?! i thought that i have read something like that in hughe's blog...

Quote Originally Posted by Regenwald View Post
    i thought that sun is adopting packagekit (or at least the frontend) for their packetmanager?! i thought that i have read something like that in hughe's blog...
    i found it by myself :O
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Interviews/PackageKit

Hi,

you mentioned in your article that:

For basic multimedia needs are Rhythmbox and Totem, but there are no proprietary audio/video codecs shipping with Project Indiana so those too will need to be installed manually for a full-featured desktop.
    Just found out that there is a perfect working package for mp3 support. The command

# pkg install SUNWgnome-media-mp3

does the job.

I wonder why the mp3 package is not installed by default

If there are any other media codecs packages, please let me know

cheers

Opteron

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    For ATI/AMD users, there is no binary graphics driver available for Solaris and the open-source xf86-video-radeonhd driver isn't included at this point.
    You might want to double check that - xf86-video-radeonhd was recently added to the Nevada branch of Solaris, and should be included in Developer Preview 2 (it's there in the build I have, which is slightly newer than the release candidate put out for testing last week), as well as Solaris Express Developer Edition 1/08 and Solaris Express Community Edition build 80 and later. Due to the freeze dates for all those, only 1.0 made it in, with the update to 1.1 coming in Solaris Express Community Edition build 82.

Quote Originally Posted by alanc View Post
    You might want to double check that - xf86-video-radeonhd was recently added to the Nevada branch of Solaris, and should be included in Developer Preview 2 (it's there in the build I have, which is slightly newer than the release candidate put out for testing last week), as well as Solaris Express Developer Edition 1/08 and Solaris Express Community Edition build 80 and later. Due to the freeze dates for all those, only 1.0 made it in, with the update to 1.1 coming in Solaris Express Community Edition build 82.
    Hey Alan,

I've actually been working on an article looking at RadeonHD with OpenSolaris. IIRC though, wasn't xf86-video-radeonhd introduced in nv build 80 where as Preview 2 is shipping with b79? However, now knowing that the latest copy of Preview 2 contains RadeonHD, I'll fix the article. Thanks for letting me know about that.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    IIRC though, wasn't xf86-video-radeonhd introduced in nv build 80 where as Preview 2 is shipping with b79?
    Yes, but it was also pulled into build 79a for SXDE 1/08 & DP2 (which are both shipping with build 79b). Since Xorg doesn't have it in the builtin driver list, it won't be used without an xorg.conf file (so not during install or off the live cd), but Xorg -configure to create a config file should allow it to work once you've finished the install.