Thread: NVIDIA Announces Portable Gaming Platform

Hybrid View

Default NVIDIA Announces Portable Gaming Platform

Phoronix: NVIDIA Announces Portable Gaming Platform

At the same time as officially announcing the NVIDIA Tegra 4, the Santa Clara company has also announced an Android-powered open gaming platform in the form of a portable gaming device that uses their latest-generation ARM hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2ODY

I don't think this thing is in the Ouya market, because the price points are going to be completely different (assuming this thing launches at least as expensive as a Nexus 4). The Shield will, I think, destroy the 3ds and Vita if priced correctly though, and this might be the gateway for Android as a serious gaming platform. Too bad the NDK is still a PITA to use. Java gaming for the masses?

I'm still concerned about the market fragmentation. What Nvidia doesn't seem to get here is developers won't just target Tegra 4, they will cast a wide net and reach as many devices as possible, from the Tegra 3 being much slower to phones with single core A8s or worse. There needs to be some motivation for developers to put the extra effort in to exploit this new chip, and I don't see it from this press conference. I don't think Android gamers with this thing would pay a premium above basically free to get extra graphics juice, the industry has just shifted too far into freemium, and it would take those dollars to motivate devs to target the Shield.

I don't think the Steam over the controller is a really captivating feature, especially since it requires the latest GPU hardware from Nvidia. You can already run a 20' hdmi cable into your living room and use a 360 gamepad (or aftermarket higher range wireless gamepad) on a pc just fine. It is a nice bullet point though, so you don't need to buy that extra controller if you match the pretty silly criteria to use what is effectively proprietary tight GPU integrated VNC.
    Last edited by zanny; 01-07-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post

I don't think the Steam over the controller is a really captivating feature, especially since it requires the latest GPU hardware from Nvidia. You can already run a 20' hdmi cable into your living room and use a 360 gamepad (or aftermarket higher range wireless gamepad) on a pc just fine. It is a nice bullet point though, so you don't need to buy that extra controller if you match the pretty silly criteria to use what is effectively proprietary tight GPU integrated VNC.
    You can stream steam games over wlan on this and sitting in the toilet having a shit and playing pc games.

This thing looks totaly silly.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    This thing looks totaly silly.
    Lol yeah, even though I like the overall idea I find that it looks like someone made it at home out of console spare parts or something, hopefully it's a prototype design. How many Linux based consoles/handhelds will we end up seeing in 2013? Steambox, Ouya, Shield, what's next?

More evil Nvidia junk.