Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 34 of 34

Thread: SprezzOS: "Most Robust, Beautiful & Performant Linux"

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j2723 View Post
    The point is, these things shouldn't happen, ever.
    I have been using Windows in the past for so long, and I don't remember a single time where my bootloader (or windows update software) got crapped because of a system update.
    I'd also like to mention, I've been using Windows for far longer than I have been using any GNU/Linux distributions.
    Have you been using the experimental, unstable, bleeding edge version of Windows? Or the stable, released, and supported version.

    If you want to compare, you have to compare Windows releases to the long-term support releases of Linux: Debian stable, RHEL, SUSE Linux Enterprise, Ubuntu LTS or CentOS.

    I know you will probably argue that I should use Debian stable, but that wont cut it for me.
    Debian stable - too old software.
    Not older than Windows, surely!!!

    You can still backport select applications that NEED to be more current (I do this with firefox), but you don't need to upgrade your bootloader, compiler, C library and shell every week. If you want a stable product, you must let it stabilise instead of throwing untested stuff into the mix for fun.

    Some people misunderstand: Debian unstable, Fedora, Ubuntu etc. are not meant to be stable. They are meant to be unstable. If you run them, you must accept this. They are sanitized snapshots with modern software. The stable releases are the long-term support releases, and they ARE stable.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j2723 View Post
    The point is, these things shouldn't happen, ever.
    I have been using Windows in the past for so long, and I don't remember a single time where my bootloader (or windows update software) got crapped because of a system update.
    I'd also like to mention, I've been using Windows for far longer than I have been using any GNU/Linux distributions.
    I'm not exactly "new" to GNU/Linux either, I've been using it exclusively as my Desktop for well over a year now, and around two years as a Server.
    I have used Windows since before it was windows. I have had Windows do neat things to MBR's trust me. Of course to suffer threw the hell fuck that is Windows, it may have caused memory loss.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Not older than Windows, surely!!!
    Debian stable comes with software much older than what you get on Windows. Windows is *not* a software distribution. You get the latest versions of all your software from the vendor of that software. On Debian (and of course virtually any other Linux distro) you get the software from Debian (or repo from the distro you're using.)

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Debian stable comes with software much older than what you get on Windows. Windows is *not* a software distribution. You get the latest versions of all your software from the vendor of that software. On Debian (and of course virtually any other Linux distro) you get the software from Debian (or repo from the distro you're using.)
    I was going to write something similar to that, but you beat me to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Have you been using the experimental, unstable, bleeding edge version of Windows? Or the stable, released, and supported version.
    ...

    You can still backport select applications that NEED to be more current (I do this with firefox), but you don't need to upgrade your bootloader, compiler, C library and shell every week. If you want a stable product, you must let it stabilise instead of throwing untested stuff into the mix for fun.

    Some people misunderstand: Debian unstable, Fedora, Ubuntu etc. are not meant to be stable. They are meant to be unstable. If you run them, you must accept this. They are sanitized snapshots with modern software. The stable releases are the long-term support releases, and they ARE stable.
    Yes, I have been using the latest and greatest software on Windows, but not the testing/unstable equivalent of the underlying system (the actual "Windows software"), which you are referring to.
    The problem is that there is no easy/hassle-free way to do that on GNU/Linux. Either you use something like backports, which doesn't even have all the packages you need, or you compile all your software from source.

    There isn't a good way to install software on a per-user basis either...
    It's either system-wide or back to compiling from source.

    Preferrably, all my software would be up-to-date while the underlying system (grub/bootloader, initd/systemd, xserver, admin tools, audioserver, desktop manager, etc.) can be as stable and old as hell.

    I guess I want to have, and eat my cake at the same time .

    I'm open to any suggestions.

    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarex View Post
    I have used Windows since before it was windows. I have had Windows do neat things to MBR's trust me. Of course to suffer threw the hell fuck that is Windows, it may have caused memory loss.
    Well, I meant in relation to using GNU/Linux . I have been using Windows OS' from 95 (good 'ol BSOD, hah) up until Windows 7, I don't plan buying 8 or even trying it.
    Last edited by j2723; 01-12-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •