Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 123

Thread: Nokia is dying (thanks to microsoft)

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Nokia has been recently caught violating user privacy: Nokia cell phones route secure https connections via their own servers and decrypt your data while they're at it. This applies at least to their Asha phones, possibly others as well. Nokia justifies this with "optimization". Other cellphone browsers (eg. Opera mini) do the same but only with non-secure plaintext connections.
    Opera mini does the same. Encrypted data cannot be compressed. The only (also, very important) difference is that for Opera mini, it is clearly written in the conditions of use.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by netrage View Post
    And who cares? Only idiots stick with one company's products forever. Be smart and choose whatever is best at any given time. Who cares if company X or Y survives? If they don't produce anything anybody wants, what's the point of that
    company's existence?
    This is a great attitude for people who live in their parent's basement. Back in reality, people have families and jobs and careers and these things are destroyed by careless technocrats with attitudes like yours, who think nothing of disrupting thousands of lives on stupid business decisions.

    Yes indeed to people like you, technology is just toys for boys.

    What is REALLY SAD is that Nokia has handed the reins of their corporation to a bunch of brain-rotted ex-microsofties who are busy turning Nokia into their version of what they wanted microsoft to be, trashing huge swaths of humanity in the process.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Remember this is capitalism not communism. Nobody cares that they 'disrupted' their lives. They always have the option to go work for someone else, or, by god I am not allowed to say this, even start their own companies.
    "Go work for someone else" yes, if someone else is hiring, if there are job opportunities. Real life does not work the same way as economy text books.

    Furthermore, what about the cost to the country of finland? Nokia used to bring a huge amount of tax income, making the lives of citizens better in many ways. Then along comes elop and destroys nokia (with the accomplicity of the nokia board) and whoops, there goes all that tax income, all those jobs, down the drain. Who takes the responsibility? Someone should. People should be held accountable for their actions, no matter if they're rich or poor.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Some guy starts a company. The company grows and hires 1 trilion people. The company is no longer profitable ends in bankruptcy. They fire everyone. And the guy that started the company should be jailed. And you see nothing wrong with this. You can't hold the shareholders responsible for keeping an idiot in charge. It was their choice and they were free to sink their own company if they so choose. They owe nothing to finland. If finland is stupid enough to base their whole tax system on the idea that Nokia is invincible, then it's their fault. You are free to do whatever you want with your company. You cannot be held accountable for destroying your own company just because Oh my God you fired everybody the whole world is going to die thinking. Companies come and go. They usually go because of incompetence.
    Nokia wasn't come-and-go company. It had a certain degree in nobility.
    Some asteroids become stars. When stars implode, it is not equal to asteroid destruction. Size does matter.

    Nokia has much more impact on finnish government than an average hot-dog shop. Good government carries responsibility on own citizens. This is difference between that and totalitarian or opportunistic bandits, who call themselve government.
    If the collapse was unavoidable, it should have been predicted so that people could find jobs.
    However, to burn 18 Mio $ in two years is hardly a predictable unavoidable collapse. It is a crime.

    The government should investigate the case, find where money was pumped, confiscate it and either restart the company or distribute the money along fellow workers till the find jobs.
    This is how good government works!

    Because you can't crush your 18 Mio $ jet together with its hired crew into a populated area for fun and then just walk away.

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    When Microsoft dies do you want to shoot Gates or Ballmer?
    Nobody. Just informing their children what things the duo has done is sufficient.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bucharest Romania
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Nokia wasn't come-and-go company. It had a certain degree in nobility.
    Some asteroids become stars. When stars implode, it is not equal to asteroid destruction. Size does matter.

    Nokia has much more impact on finnish government than an average hot-dog shop. Good government carries responsibility on own citizens. This is difference between that and totalitarian or opportunistic bandits, who call themselve government.
    If the collapse was unavoidable, it should have been predicted so that people could find jobs.
    However, to burn 18 Mio $ in two years is hardly a predictable unavoidable collapse. It is a crime.

    The government should investigate the case, find where money was pumped, confiscate it and either restart the company or distribute the money along fellow workers till the find jobs.
    This is how good government works!

    Because you can't crush your 18 Mio $ jet together with its hired crew into a populated area for fun and then just walk away.


    Nobody. Just informing their children what things the duo has done is sufficient.
    One extra reason for any responsible government not to bet on a single horse, as successful as it might seem to be. Betting on a big amount of 1000 k euro hotdog shops seems to be a better choice than betting on a single 18 Mio Eu. Weren't them told by their parents not to put all the eggs in a single basket?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by araxth View Post
    One extra reason for any responsible government not to bet on a single horse, as successful as it might seem to be. Betting on a big amount of 1000 k euro hotdog shops seems to be a better choice than betting on a single 18 Mio Eu. Weren't them told by their parents not to put all the eggs in a single basket?
    Single baskets turn out to be more efficient, also its not government betting on baskets, its own basket decision to grow larger.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bucharest Romania
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Single baskets turn out to be more efficient, also its not government betting on baskets, its own basket decision to grow larger.
    Efficient yes, for a wile. And also risky because when the big basket went down, all the eggs were gone. And the government had to clean the mess.

    No more direct tax incomes, no more indirect incomes, the social expenses increase (with unemployment payments) etc etc. One small or medium sided hotdog shop or more going down means less trouble than a single megacorporation. And I assume new small enterprises will be more likely to appear in the place left by the few hotdog shops, than a new mega corporation.

    Note: by hotdog shop i mean a small sized company, regardless the activity object. the term itself was taken from a previous post. I have nothing against hot dogs, hot dogs eating people , hot dogs companies.
    Also, my own economical views are liberal. I hope i will not be suspected as socialist, corporate capitalist, emo, communist, or other such labels.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Some guy starts a company. The company grows and hires 1 trilion people. The company is no longer profitable ends in bankruptcy. They fire everyone. And the guy that started the company should be jailed. And you see nothing wrong with this. You can't hold the shareholders responsible for keeping an idiot in charge. It was their choice and they were free to sink their own company if they so choose. They owe nothing to finland. If finland is stupid enough to base their whole tax system on the idea that Nokia is invincible, then it's their fault. You are free to do whatever you want with your company. You cannot be held accountable for destroying your own company just because Oh my God you fired everybody the whole world is going to die thinking. Companies come and go. They usually go because of incompetence. When Microsoft dies do you want to shoot Gates or Ballmer?
    Well the thing is, apart from libertard fantasy world, you're in fact NOT free to do whatever you want with your "own company". In fact, in real life, there are very few "own companies", thanks to incorporation and the stock market. No one in fact OWNS a company, other than its shareholders. The CEO or the board do not OWN the company, they only lead it. And yes, they may have "limited liability", but the "limited" part mainly applies to not having to pay your own money if your company tanks.

    When it comes to following laws, they very much do have liability. Namely, if a CEO or a board willingly acts in a way that is not in the shareholders' or the company's best interest, eg. willingly makes bad deals because they or their secret employer profits from trashing the company, that is ILLEGAL. If the CEO or the board make secret deals with other parties that benefit them personally but are harmful to the company, that is illegal. If the CEO or board embezzle funds from the company, that is illegal. Insider deals are also illegal.

    So you see, there would be a very good case against elop, and possibly also against the nokia board for not doing anything for so long. But sadly the corruption in finnish government is probably going to prevent anything being done about this.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    You seem to assume that Elop is part of a conspiracy to ruin Nokia. I just think that Elop is a complete inadequate incompetent loser moron. He unwillingly acts against the shareholders interest. He's retarded. If Nokia goes down most probably it will be because of incompetence not conspiracy. If it's conspiracy then the shareholders should shoot him. What I am saying is that the shareholders must intervene, not the government.
    Right, right, because in libertardland, government intervention is ALWAYS and UNCONDITIONALLY BAD and EVIL. Government should never do anything and let everyone else do everything. Moving on...

    I think it's quite obvious that elop is a mole. There's no way someone could be THAT incompetent, I mean let's not forget this is a person that was hired for a high salary to run one of the largest, most succesful companies in the WORLD. You don't get to that position without having some amount of skill, something to show for yourself. So that leaves only deliberate sabotage. Trust me on this, I've been looking at the whole catastrophy unfold, and every decision elop has made has been like DESIGNED to make nokia fail. He's spouted just enough corporate doubletalk to make it look plausible that he's actually trying to succeed, and everything he's done has been plausible if you look at the act on its own - but when you add it all up, it becomes plain and obvious that he's not merely incompetent, he's playing for the other team.

    I'm not saying I know this for certain. I'm saying it's a very likely possibility, and considering microsoft's history, it isn't all that far-fetched that they'd come up with such a strategy. I mean, for microsoft, it's a win-win situation. For microsoft, everything elop has done makes sense. If you think from microsoft's point of view, then suddenly everything elop has done makes sense. Otherwise, the things he's done have been plain absurd, like there's no rhyme or reason to them. Add in microsoft - and the pieces fit.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriankx View Post
    I don`t understand this exclusivistic bullshit. Only windows OS on their phones. How can samsung htc sony and others make both android handsets and windows ones.
    Well, samsung makes almost everything short of space ships anyway, and the rest.. well, they don't exactly swim in money either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •