Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 123

Thread: Nokia is dying (thanks to microsoft)

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Nokia scruved up big time, but long before Elop. When he came along it was to late to bet succefully Android and there own platforms was to little and to late. Personally I don't think they could motivate the big development cost for there own platform as they was way to late with meego to keep their earlier hugh market share.
    The market is in flux because its for the last years has been easy to get a mobile platform and in the same time every one can get the same operating system as every one else. Most has the same production facilities. It has killed the margins and has created huge problems for many of the old mobile manufacturers and the price press is murdering. Nokia bet on their own platform to differentiate to keep their margins ( like the old CEOs parable about peeing in the pants first you get warm (you reduce your costs with android) and therafter you get cold (when the price press starts)) but they failed. Now they try to minimize the damage and shrink the company to the new reality. (And it's look like the smaller new company do some money again.)
    The MS/Nokia "deal" was for precisely ONE purpose: MS saw Nokia as "top of the market", which is where they wanted to be. They did the deal with Nokia so that Nokia could pull them to the top. They instead, pulled Nokia down to the bottom.

    Contrary to your opinion, Maemo/meego was ready for market, as the N900 showed. Their big problem, and the reason that platform appeared to fail, is because they refused to actually install it on any other of their phones. Now try to think about why... was it because the platform was bad? Nope, everybody who owned an N900 raved about it. It was an awesome platform. Period. So why would they hesitate to market it? Probably because MS told them to, fearing that if it really came to market in a big way, it would destroy their chances of using Nokia to push their substandard shit.

    The other consideration was the timing of things. Do you honestly believe that the MS "deal" happened at the same moment that the public announcement was made? Of course not. They were restructuring and getting ready for it YEARS before. Of course, they didn't REALLY plummet until AFTER the announcement. The one single simple announcement that instantly told the entire world that Nokia was a GUARANTEED FAILURE..... and they tanked.

    Do you remember who else did the deal with MS? It was PALM. They had a platform that was getting a bit long of tooth (remind you of symbian, maybe?). They did the deal with MS, and DIED. They broke it off with MS and tried to claw their way back up, but too little too late and they have now become a footnote on wikipedia. Now same thing is progressing as expected with Nokia.

    The MS platform is wholly unappealing, period.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    342

    Default forum post

    I've posted this already,

    Microsoft is dead.



    It's Death, one of the horsemen of The Apocolypse.
    Apple is War, Linux Conquest, and Famine is none other than IBM OS2 starved to death

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post

    The MS platform is wholly unappealing, period.
    Spoken by someone who have never actually used Visual Studio to write or compile anything for Windows and Windows Phone 8.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    Spoken by someone who have never actually used Visual Studio to write or compile anything for Windows and Windows Phone 8.
    Remember guys, drop support for windows. Give jerks a lesson.


    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Nokia scruved up big time, but long before Elop. When he came along it was to late to bet succefully Android and there own platforms was to little and to late. Personally I don't think they could motivate the big development cost for there own platform as they was way to late with meego to keep their earlier hugh market share.
    The market is in flux because its for the last years has been easy to get a mobile platform and in the same time every one can get the same operating system as every one else. Most has the same production facilities. It has killed the margins and has created huge problems for many of the old mobile manufacturers and the price press is murdering. Nokia bet on their own platform to differentiate to keep their margins ( like the old CEOs parable about peeing in the pants first you get warm (you reduce your costs with android) and therafter you get cold (when the price press starts)) but they failed. Now they try to minimize the damage and shrink the company to the new reality. (And it's look like the smaller new company do some money again.)
    If you actually read first post in this thread, you will understand that you are lying. Nokia was PROFITABLE before Elop came in and destroyed everything in his lying speech. Thats proven FACT.
    Last edited by brosis; 04-10-2013 at 02:51 PM.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    Spoken by someone who have never actually used Visual Studio to write or compile anything for Windows and Windows Phone 8.
    Every time I read a programming web site and someone asks a question about how to do something in Windows and the response is along the lines of 'Oh, that's easy, you just have to catch the WM_DOODOO message and cast the lpParam3 to an LPCSTR and use this manky C code to pass it to wDoStuff(), but remember that the last LPDWORD parameter to wDoStuff() can only be NULL if it's a Thursday with a full moon, but it must be NULL if that's also February 29th', I thank Bob that I no longer have to develop programs for Windows.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Remember guys, drop support for windows. Give jerks a lesson.
    Remember guys, stop writing drivers and providing documentation for Linux. Teach unappreciative jerks who don't know what it means to develop for money a lesson.
    Two can play the game.




    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Nokia was PROFITABLE before Elop came in and destroyed everything in his lying speech. Thats proven FACT.
    And Nokia has posted a profit for Q4 2012 after Windows Phone 8 was released.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    And Nokia has posted a profit for Q4 2012 after Windows Phone 8 was released.
    Yes, because of a one-time payment from RIM(Blackberry) and positive development in the Nokia-Siemens Networks. Not because of the handset division.
    Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    wDoStuff() can only be NULL if it's a Thursday with a full moon, but it must be NULL if that's also February 29th',
    Lies! Everybody knows that Microsoft products always fail on Feb 29th regardless of how many rain dances you perform.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    And Nokia has posted a profit for Q4 2012 after Windows Phone 8 was released.
    It certainly was not because of all the windows phone 8 they were giving away.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    Yes, because of a one-time payment from RIM(Blackberry) and positive development in the Nokia-Siemens Networks. Not because of the handset division.
    That's because people are knocking it just because it's Microsoft only after spending 3 minutes with a display unit or worse, without even trying it out at all.

    Like most people I was very negative of Windows Phone after the joke that was Windows Mobile 6.5 was released by Microsoft and opted to skip over Windows Phone 7 in favor of Android because the WinCE kernel could not even support large displays or multiple ARM cores.

    Today I'm on WP8 after 2 years of using Android and I don't forsee myself ever going back to Android for a very, very long time unless Nokia collapses or Microsoft cancels Windows Phone development. Unfortunately, people still look at WP8 and compare it to WinMo6.5 or just declare that it's an MS product so it blows without even bothering to actually try to use the damned thing. And these are the same people who typically end up installing Metro-style launchers on their Android phones to show off their 'cool new interface' to others. Figures.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    That's because people are knocking it just because it's Microsoft only after spending 3 minutes with a display unit or worse, without even trying it out at all.
    Let me tell you who is knocking it. European telco/carrier executives in an unprecedented move called for Nokia to ditch that unwanted Microsoft platform in favor of Android. Do you think that these executives spent no more than 3 minutes with Windows Phone? After all the many millions that Nokia paid to them for unsuccessfully promoting Lumias?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    Like most people I was very negative of Windows Phone after the joke that was Windows Mobile 6.5 was released by Microsoft and opted to skip over Windows Phone 7 in favor of Android because the WinCE kernel could not even support large displays or multiple ARM cores.
    Windows Mobile had 12% smartphone market share at some point. It had a large enterprise user base. Microsoft killed it off and replaced with something far less capable (can Windows Phone do VPN already?), and it brought them to the 3% market share they are still holding today.
    In many respects, Windows Mobile was better and more successful than Windows Phone is today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    Today I'm on WP8 after 2 years of using Android and I don't forsee myself ever going back to Android for a very, very long time unless Nokia collapses or Microsoft cancels Windows Phone development. Unfortunately, people still look at WP8 and compare it to WinMo6.5 or just declare that it's an MS product so it blows without even bothering to actually try to use the damned thing. And these are the same people who typically end up installing Metro-style launchers on their Android phones to show off their 'cool new interface' to others. Figures.
    I don't know anybody who installed Metro, but the interface is a matter of taste and to each his own. Technologically WP8 is way behind iOS and Android. New developments and innovations in mobile typically come to Windows Phone last. Nokia tried to push things forward (PureView etc.) but ultimately fell short.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •