Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 86

Thread: Systemd 197 Brings "Quite Some Cool New Stuff"

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Off course it is a walled garden! It adds unnecessary burdens to free software developers and excludes some as well. Oh yeah and it is just downright RUDE to demand free software hackers to give avay rights. Whats next?
    I have written some software in the past, which I licensed under GPL, so I am probably a free software developer.
    What burden does Qt add to me?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Code:
    $ size -t /lib/systemd/systemd /usr/lib64/libdbus-1.so /usr/bin/dbus-daemon
       text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
     896610	 107564	   2496	1006670	  f5c4e	/lib/systemd/systemd
     269976	   4060	    864	 274900	  431d4	/usr/lib64/libdbus-1.so
     384959	   4232	   2512	 391703	  5fa17	/usr/bin/dbus-daemon
    1551545	 115856	   5872	1673273	 198839	(TOTALS)
    
    $ size -t /sbin/init /bin/sh /sbin/kmod /bin/awk /sbin/mount /sbin/umount /bin/kill
       text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
      31893	   2100	    712	  34705	   8791	/sbin/init
     121123	   2268	  12400	 135791	  2126f	/bin/sh
      74038	   4536	     80	  78654	  1333e	/sbin/kmod
     112482	   3660	   2024	 118166	  1cd96	/bin/awk
      87638	   4360	   4536	  96534	  17916	/sbin/mount
      66976	   2408	   4408	  73792	  12040	/sbin/umount
      14375	   1480	     40	  15895	   3e17	/bin/kill
     508525	  20812	  24200	 553537	  87241	(TOTALS)

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Systemd is not the right place for CA/CLA
    You don't need any CLA, you idiot, you just take the LGPLed/GPLed Qt code code without signing anything. Anybody can use the code and modify it without copyright assignment. Just fork it.

    How hard is that to understand?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    You don't need any CLA, you idiot, you just take the LGPLed/GPLed Qt code code without signing anything. Anybody can use the code and modify it without copyright assignment. Just fork it.

    How hard is that to understand?
    Sorry but you are not a very beight kid are you? Please realize there is a difference between a fork and a merge.

    Merges reduce maintainship while forks end up wasting hours.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    I have written some software in the past, which I licensed under GPL, so I am probably a free software developer.
    What burden does Qt add to me?
    Now go write a Qt patch licensed as GPL. Will digia accept it? No.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Bernardino, CA
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Here come the haterz...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Sorry but you are not a very beight kid are you? Please realize there is a difference between a fork and a merge.
    If you want to integrate Qt into systemd, nothing is stopping you and you don't need to sign anything. That's all that you need to know.

    Whether Digia accepts your patches is not relevant to this scenario. They can continue developing it out-of-tree, like udev is being developed, if they wish to. But there is still nothing stopping you from taking all of Qt and merging it into systemd.

    It is really simple, and if you weren't a troll caught jumping into your own mouth, this would be very easy to understand.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightBit View Post
    Code:
    $ size -t /lib/systemd/systemd /usr/lib64/libdbus-1.so /usr/bin/dbus-daemon
       text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
     896610	 107564	   2496	1006670	  f5c4e	/lib/systemd/systemd
     269976	   4060	    864	 274900	  431d4	/usr/lib64/libdbus-1.so
     384959	   4232	   2512	 391703	  5fa17	/usr/bin/dbus-daemon
    1551545	 115856	   5872	1673273	 198839	(TOTALS)
    
    $ size -t /sbin/init /bin/sh /sbin/kmod /bin/awk /sbin/mount /sbin/umount /bin/kill
       text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
      31893	   2100	    712	  34705	   8791	/sbin/init
     121123	   2268	  12400	 135791	  2126f	/bin/sh
      74038	   4536	     80	  78654	  1333e	/sbin/kmod
     112482	   3660	   2024	 118166	  1cd96	/bin/awk
      87638	   4360	   4536	  96534	  17916	/sbin/mount
      66976	   2408	   4408	  73792	  12040	/sbin/umount
      14375	   1480	     40	  15895	   3e17	/bin/kill
     508525	  20812	  24200	 553537	  87241	(TOTALS)
    Point? Yes Systemd is bigger than initand dbus is bigger than sh. Congrats, you can do math. But systemd does A LOT more than init ever did and I dont just mean "feature wise" I mean to ensure proper start up, shutdown and restart of services as well as their logging.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Point? Yes Systemd is bigger than initand dbus is bigger than sh. Congrats, you can do math. But systemd does A LOT more than init ever did and I dont just mean "feature wise" I mean to ensure proper start up, shutdown and restart of services as well as their logging.
    This is only systemd core (pid 1).

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightBit View Post
    This is only systemd core (pid 1).
    FreeDos is smaller than linux, this means it must be better, right? (this seems to be your implication)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •