Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 86

Thread: Systemd 197 Brings "Quite Some Cool New Stuff"

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBane View Post
    FreeDos is smaller than linux, this means it must be better, right? (this seems to be your implication)
    Yes, FreeDOS is better than Linux, if you don't need features missing in FreeDOS.
    However, I compared only "/lib/systemd/systemd", which has practically the same features.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    147

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    You don't need any CLA, you idiot, you just take the LGPLed/GPLed Qt code code without signing anything. Anybody can use the code and modify it without copyright assignment. Just fork it.

    How hard is that to understand?
    thumbs up ..
    Last edited by zoomblab; 01-08-2013 at 04:09 PM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Now go write a Qt patch licensed as GPL. Will digia accept it? No.
    So I'll submit it while waiving my rights to give a fuck about changing licenses.
    Is the burden coming yet?

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightBit View Post
    Yes, FreeDOS is better than Linux, if you don't need features missing in FreeDOS.
    However, I compared only "/lib/systemd/systemd", which has practically the same features.
    Even if you consider only the core process, it still has a number of features that aren't present or as advanced as in systemd. If you are looking into using a init system that wins in size comparison, systemd may not be a great fit for you. I would note however that the core system process size depends on what options you have configured in and systemd is very flexible in that since most of the functionality can be disabled if that is what works for you.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightBit View Post
    Yes, FreeDOS is better than Linux, if you don't need features missing in FreeDOS.
    However, I compared only "/lib/systemd/systemd", which has practically the same features.
    Wow, it's a whole 1MB larger. Wherever will I be able to fit that monstrosity of a program on my 1TB hard drive? My phone only has 16GB of disk space, it'll really be a problem there....

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    If you want to integrate Qt into systemd, nothing is stopping you and you don't need to sign anything. That's all that you need to know.

    Whether Digia accepts your patches is not relevant to this scenario. They can continue developing it out-of-tree, like udev is being developed, if they wish to.
    Wow you are misinformed kid. Just because you are old enough to grow a neckbeard doesnt make you a hero. Here is a clue for you; udev was MERGED into systemd because it REDUCED the maintenanceburden over all. Udev is developed WITHIN the systemd tree now. Then the neckbeard crowd went mad and FORKED udev under some crazy "udevng-neckbeardcrap" label. This fork INCREASES the overall maintenance burden and FRAGMENTS the community.

    Merge: reducing maintenance burden, consolidates communities.
    Fork: increases maintensnce burden, fragments commumities.
    Capiche??

    Why on Earth should systemd fork shit like Qt now that systemd is trying to reduce overall maintenance burden and create a CoreOS? You make no sense and it seems like your point is Qt is great because you can fork. Well it is really no joy to fork, because you cant find anyone who can do it.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Wow you are misinformed kid. Just because you are old enough to grow a neckbeard doesnt make you a hero. Here is a clue for you; udev was MERGED into systemd because it REDUCED the maintenanceburden over all. Udev is developed WITHIN the systemd tree now.
    Overall, maintenance burden was increased because a fork was inevitable. The maintenance burden was reduced for the systemd guys but increased for the community as a whole by making udev depend on systemd in a "take it or leave it" proposition, typical of walled gardens in fact. Maintenance is one thing, but intentionally breaking compatibility that people rely on is a hostile act.

    Qt community has never pulled off such a stunt. You can still use Webkit without porting everything to Qt.

    Webkit is LGPL-licensed, BTW. It's in Qt. No CLA.

    You make no sense and it seems like your point is Qt is great because you can fork.
    Free software is great because you can fork. That is the whole fucking point about it. Forking saved xorg, GCC, Emacs, and now it is saving GNOME. The ability to fork is what makes Free Software great, not psycho dictators who want total control over your system and how you use it.
    Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 01-09-2013 at 07:43 AM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Wow, it's a whole 1MB larger. Wherever will I be able to fit that monstrosity of a program on my 1TB hard drive? My phone only has 16GB of disk space, it'll really be a problem there....
    Of course this isn't a problem. However, larger it is more chances are for bugs (very bad for pid 1) and dbus on server is stupid.
    Last edited by LightBit; 01-09-2013 at 12:33 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Even if you consider only the core process, it still has a number of features that aren't present or as advanced as in systemd. If you are looking into using a init system that wins in size comparison, systemd may not be a great fit for you. I would note however that the core system process size depends on what options you have configured in and systemd is very flexible in that since most of the functionality can be disabled if that is what works for you.
    Can I disable dbus dependency?

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightBit View Post
    Can I disable dbus dependency?
    This is a frequent source of confusion in this forum apparently. systemd does not depend on the D-Bus deamon but only libdbus. If you want to remove libdbus which is a really tiny library, you would end up reimplementing IPC and probably in a buggy way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •