Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 78

Thread: There's Talk Again About Btrfs For Fedora

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    I never said anything about SUSE using Btrfs as default.
    What is wrong with you? You responded to my comment about btrfs being the default filesystem in a conservative linux distro by saying that SUSE supports btrfs, and then when I point out that it is not the default filesystem, you claim not to know what I am talking about.

    Are you just trolling for fun? Or are you really having that much trouble following the thread of conversation?

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryao View Post
    It really has no place here. If it happens, you will find out when everyone else does.
    This is very amusing. You want to assert something without providing any evidence of it. If it has no place here, you shouldn't have bought it up at all in the first place. As far as Btrfs vs ZFS arguments, I have no interest in them. There are customers who need one or the other and are willing to invest in them heavily and there are non-paying but important community players who are participating and as long as there is interest and/or money, these technologies will be developed in parallel and flourish just fine. No amount of snipping in forums is going to change that.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    You responded to my comment about btrfs being the default filesystem in a conservative linux distro by saying that SUSE supports btrfs, and then when I point out that it is not the default filesystem, you claim not to know what I am talking about.
    I am snipping out the personal insults. You were comparing Btrfs and ZFS. I am pointing that Btrfs is already commercially supported and has production level deployments by several vendors as a data point. Take it for what its worth.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    I am pointing that Btrfs is already commercially supported and has production level deployments by several vendors as a data point. Take it for what its worth.
    Which is irrelevant to my comment that btrfs still does not have a conservative distro that uses btrfs as the default filesystem.

    It took 4 or 5 years for ZFS to become the default filesystem in Solaris.

    btrfs development is going on 6 years now, and no conservative linux distro trusts btrfs enough to make it the default filesystem.
    That makes btrfs slower in development than ZFS. And I see no sign that things are speeding up for btrfs. I wonder if btrfs will ever be good enough to use as the default filesystem for a conservative linux distro.
    Last edited by jwilliams; 01-17-2013 at 07:11 PM.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    This is very amusing. You want to assert something without providing any evidence of it. If it has no place here, you shouldn't have bought it up at all in the first place. As far as Btrfs vs ZFS arguments, I have no interest in them. There are customers who need one or the other and are willing to invest in them heavily and there are non-paying but important community players who are participating and as long as there is interest and/or money, these technologies will be developed in parallel and flourish just fine. No amount of snipping in forums is going to change that.
    I withdrew that comment by editing my post because I did not want to speak for other people. Excuse me for making an obscure comment that was not my place to make. If that distribution that I have in mind switches, they will be the ones to announce it, not me.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Sorry. I am not buying it unless you name the distro in question.
    I assume he must be referring to one of Oracle's distros (probably OL since they've already brought over DTrace as a module,though I'll be curious how they'll manage to integrate zfs).
    However, he may also be mistaken.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    I assume he must be referring to one of Oracle's distros (probably OL since they've already brought over DTrace as a module,though I'll be curious how they'll manage to integrate zfs).
    However, he may also be mistaken.
    Oracle's Linux developers and I have no contact with each other. I have no idea what they are doing aside from what I hear from people who talked to Oracle. As far as I have heard, Oracle regards Linux as being a lower-end offering. They seem to have no plans to port ZFS from Solaris because that would affect product differentiation.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryao View Post
    Oracle's Linux developers and I have no contact with each other. I have no idea what they are doing aside from what I hear from people who talked to Oracle. As far as I have heard, Oracle regards Linux as being a lower-end offering. They seem to have no plans to port ZFS from Solaris because that would affect product differentiation.
    Well, one would think porting DTrace would lessen the differentiation but they did that.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Which is irrelevant to my comment that btrfs still does not have a conservative distro that uses btrfs as the default filesystem. .
    That's where we disagree. Production level deployments and commercial support from multiple vendors are strong indicators of the maturity level of the filesystem.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    Well, one would think porting DTrace would lessen the differentiation but they did that.
    DTrace is a debugging feature. It does not affect production use outside of possible performance tuning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •