Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Nouveau "NVC0" Gets Accelerated Video Decoding

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MPF View Post
    Sure, but ... that's not really fully-FOSS.
    Baby steps man, baby steps

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MPF View Post
    Sure, but ... that's not really fully-FOSS.
    Well, I hate to stay it, but even this would make me quite happy with my radeon... hdmi audio on aruba, too.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Wow, kudos again to the nouveau devs!

    I've gotta say, the first time I heard about nouveau many many years ago when it was still in its infancy I thought "cool project, but the devs will probably get tired fast and it will be yet another possibly cool thing that never was". How glad I am to be proven wrong again and again, you rock!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    Wow, kudos again to the nouveau devs!

    I've gotta say, the first time I heard about nouveau many many years ago when it was still in its infancy I thought "cool project, but the devs will probably get tired fast and it will be yet another possibly cool thing that never was". How glad I am to be proven wrong again and again, you rock!
    Agreed!

    It seemed hopeless to me. How wrong I was!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Can not you just get permission from Nvidia for redistribution of firmware?

    I mean, its useless for anyone BUT for Nvidia GPU owners.

    It still will not be FOSS, but nobody would have to digg into proprietary driver in order to get it working.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    Can not you just get permission from Nvidia for redistribution of firmware?

    I mean, its useless for anyone BUT for Nvidia GPU owners.

    It still will not be FOSS, but nobody would have to digg into proprietary driver in order to get it working.
    That would be a nice start if nVidia would allow the firmware to be redistributed (unmodified in any way of course) so it could be included in the debian firmware-linux-nonfree package for example

    Wonder if anyone has approached nVidia about that idea?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    That would be a nice start if nVidia would allow the firmware to be redistributed (unmodified in any way of course) so it could be included in the debian firmware-linux-nonfree package for example

    Wonder if anyone has approached nVidia about that idea?
    We actually thought about that but no-one took the time to write an email yet. If you want to write it and forward it to us, feel free to

  8. #18

    Default

    Congrats to the noveau-team. Indeed when buying hardware, one should be able to program it, and not be locked into OS choice. Incredible lame of NVIDIA not to release specs. Peace Be With You.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •