No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 13.1 For Linux Officially Does X.Org 1.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, luxmark score is still at around 1200 compared to 1700 for W8 with 12.10 drivers, and 1800 for W8 beta drivers.

Comment

From the changelog it seems that they have fixed every last bug I encountered with the last beta version.

Installing when an ebuild is in tree/overlay.

Comment

Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.5)
        So the latest kernel they support that is not End Of Life is 3.4?
        3.5 (released July 21, 2012) and 3.6 (released September 30, 2012) are already EOL, version 3.7 was released on December 11, 2012, more than a month ago, and has already the third point release.
        At this rate, can we expect to have support for 3.7 before summer (when we most likely are at 3.9 or 3.10 for the latest stable kernel) ?

Comment

Did no one notice:
          [366820] Performance of Valve Linux games

Although vaque can we get some gamers or Michael to test? I have an unsupported HD 3870 or I would...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            I tried it with an AMD Enduro notebook. "Downgraded" to all the stable versions, X.Org X Server 1.13.1, mesa 9.0.1 and xf86-video-intel 2.20.18.

Didn't work. X start looks ok, until…
            Code:
            [   749.149] (EE) fglrx(0): Map intel primary surface to user space failed!
            [   749.149] 
            Fatal server error:
            [   749.149] AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0
            Sorry, I was too quick. It was still using sna. I switched to uxa and it works now, even with xf86-video-intel from git.

Kind of.

Multiple screens suck. X often crashes when enabling or disabling screens. With three screens, sometimes screens that are supposed to be side-by-side get weirdly cloned, they display the same thing but the cursor can move between them as if they were side by side.
            When moving windows they are weirdly "wobbly" and often pixel rows seem to seem to be missing or have some other weird effect. It's not visible on video captured with ffcast.

With one screen it is kind of ok. Rendering seems to work as good as catalyst's rendering works. Serious Sam 3 BFE on Ultra settings is very nice. Example of one problem: The steam overlay is unclickable, vanishes after about 5 seconds and then the game hangs.

Originally posted by krasnoglaz View Post
            Also, luxmark score is still at around 1200 compared to 1700 for W8 with 12.10 drivers, and 1800 for W8 beta drivers.
            1127 on HD 7970M.
            Last edited by ChrisXY; 18 January 2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

ChrisXY, how did you installed your driver?

I have an hd 7730m and a i5cpu, I The amd driver doesn't work for me.

I have Kubuntu 12.10

I installed the amd drivers by building the .deb with the buildpkg option,
              but amdconfig --initial -f gives me:
              Uninitialised file found, configuring.
              PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibglx:
              update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules with a link

And Xorg is unable to restart.

Comment

I use Archlinux and so I used catalyst-total-pxp from AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/catalyst-total-pxp/
                You can view the PKGBUILD file to see what it does. It's all just bash scripts in there.

When I installed it it was not Version 13.1 so I modified it a bit myself, so I don't know if everything in there is like I have it.

On Archlinux /usr/lib64 doesn't exist on a 64 bit system. It's /usr/lib for 64 bit and /usr/lib32 for 32 bit stuff.
                So I just created a symlink to make the pxp scripts happy: ln -sf /usr/lib /usr/lib64

There is this pxp_switch_catalyst script in the tarball that wraps around aticonfig --px-igpu and aticonfig --px-dgpu and does some minor stuff.
                I first switched to amd: sudo pxp_switch_catalyst amd
                Then aticonfig --initial worked fine.
                Then startx, and it worked.

I think it looks fine for you, don't know about the warning. Maybe look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, there perhaps is some more info.

The steam overlay only doesn't work in serious sam, by the way, it works in other steam games. Strange.

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
                  Did no one notice:
                  [366820] Performance of Valve Linux games

Although vaque can we get some gamers or Michael to test? I have an unsupported HD 3870 or I would...
                  Yeah, I saw that. And this too: '[347895]: OpenGL performance on "Southern Islands" ASICs' - Cool.

And what else is cool is that they list the Radeon 8000 series (desktop chips) in the supported chipsets. Seems like AMD wants to have day one FGLRX support for those chips too.

Comment

Originally posted by devguy View Post
                    And what else is cool is that they list the Radeon 8000 series (desktop chips) in the supported chipsets. Seems like AMD wants to have day one FGLRX support for those chips too.
                    Which ones?
                    The rebranded 7000 series which makes about the whole line
                    of 8000 OEM ASICs or the - yet to be introduced - new GCN2 ASICs?

Chances are high it's just the OEM series.

Comment

Team Fortress 2 runs okay on the HD 7970M with enduro. Considering that Serious Sam 3 on Ultra settings works extremely smooth it could be a little bit better on hogh settings but if you are not an absolute hardcore gamer it'll be okay.

Comment

Working...
                      X