Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Insights Into Wine's Development

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    PlayOnLinux is more like CrossOver in that it can set up specific wine directories per application with app-specific overrides. So if wine 1.5.22 breaks MS Office 2010, PlayOnLinux can set it up to that MS Office 2010, and only MS Office 2010, has a wine setup that is actually 1.5.21.

Its more than just "a frontend."
    To manage prefixes you can use $WINEPREFIX, if you write some scripts you get it too*.
    The part of manage wine versions is just not a part of wine's job.

*I wrote some stuff for it and wrote a CLI prefix manager that, makes working with prefixes and different wine versions easyer:
    http://code.google.com/p/usenew/sour...c/usenew.sh.in. Debian package is on my project site too.

Quote Originally Posted by boltronics View Post
    The list of games that I have finished via WINE can be seen here: https://systemsaviour.com/finished-games/#GNU"
    You should probably replay Unreal, now that it has a native port and all

Wine never works out of the box with most things, but neither does Windows. In fact; allmost all classic games need patches/cracks to work on anything that's older than Vista. There's a reason Windows software employs DLL versioning, and almost any Windows app ships with the DLL versions that they were developped against.

Ofcource, if you keep buying/installing anything that requires the latest Windows release, Wine will keep being behind on support, for obvious reasons. That is where virtual machines are for.

But for me, Wine is like Dosbox; it keeps legacy stuff running, and Windows simply doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    Wine usually has been working quit nice for many years, and for many things.

However, what really bugs me is when in order to get your fav game working you need that one-liner fix (literally!), and for that you need to recompile the whole shebang. In a 32bit chroot. With hundreds of -dev packages. And nightmares.
    And when there's a new version, the patch isn't intergrated, but just needs to be applied to a different line number. And you have to do it all again. sigh
    My Gentoo install makes compiling and installing so easy .

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    But for me, Wine is like Dosbox; it keeps legacy stuff running, and Windows simply doesn't.
    Definitely agree. Modern stuff should be done right (and by right I mean native) but for legacy purposes emulators and compatibility layers definitely do show their value.