Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: AMD's Catalyst Legacy Linux Driver Updated To 13.1

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    AFAIK the main focus of this release was getting Steam fixes out to owners of older hardware.
    New Kernel and X-Server Support is much more Important or make the r600g Driver fast. I doubt that one of you driver guys need so long for this task. All ppl with this Type of Cards can't upgrade there distribution without lose fgrlx support.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Yeah I am hearing Team Fortress 2 is finally running for HD2000-4000 with this driver.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the only difference compared to the last driver is that
    they added the required OpenGL extension "GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode".
    But this means that this is rather a feature update than a mere bugfix release (which is good actually).

    So why AMD refuses to add support for new xservers?
    That would add so much value to those HD4000 cards.
    Maybe that's exactly the problem...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Read the article and was jumping for joy till I read the comments...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobwya View Post
    Read the article and was jumping for joy till I read the comments...
    I wonder if Michael ever updated/corrected an article???

    I guess we'll rather see a new article about it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,525

    Default

    Hmm. Well, I never expected that kind of Spanish Inquisition... err, I mean, update for legacy fglrx. But yea, it doesn't seem to be that important, and in my case it's too late, as I just yesterday bought a new graphics card for my main pc, and the current one is doing well enough for HTPC use cases with r600g regardless.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nille View Post
    New Kernel and X-Server Support is much more Important or make the r600g Driver fast. I doubt that one of you driver guys need so long for this task. All ppl with this Type of Cards can't upgrade there distribution without lose fgrlx support.
    Hehehehehe... Nowadays I just find this kind of comments entertaining Those topics have been discussed to death, and still concepts such as "reasoning" and "common sense" just meet a hard wall. So screw it, keep 'em coming, make my day

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Hmm. Well, I never expected that kind of Spanish Inquisition... err, I mean, update for legacy fglrx. But yea, it doesn't seem to be that important, and in my case it's too late, as I just yesterday bought a new graphics card for my main pc, and the current one is doing well enough for HTPC use cases with r600g regardless.
    I disagree sir... What about laptop owners that have the "rather nice" 4xxx series mobility cards... fgrlx is enough of a train wreck (needing patch wizardry to running on newer kernels, older Xorg versions, etc.) without being stuck on an older even more restricted version of the driver. The FOSS solution is maturing nicely but doesn't cut it for power management (yet).

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Armpit, Oregon
    Posts
    7

    Default FOSS driver works for TF2

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Yeah I am hearing Team Fortress 2 is finally running for HD2000-4000 with this driver.
    I tried playing TF2 with the 12.6 driver. However, I got tired of applying workarounds and patches, so it never played for me. Then I went back to the opensource drivers, and I can play it pretty well with my HD 4290. It is only at 640x480 mind you, and with lowest settings. But it plays fine!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    904

    Default

    There is a new legacy (13.9) Catalyst available supporting Windows Vista and up [Radeon HD 2k-4k series].
    However, I guess we won't see another legacy Catalyst for this generation on Linux.
    How well is the recent FOSS driver performing on these ASICs compared to the latest legacy release?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Rather well for anything i tested. What's the point of sticking to the old fglrx cruft ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •