Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedora Looks To Replace MySQL With MariaDB

Default Fedora Looks To Replace MySQL With MariaDB

Phoronix: Fedora Looks To Replace MySQL With MariaDB

Out of fears that Oracle is making MySQL a more closed software project and not being happy with the overall direction of this widely-used database software, Fedora developers are looking at replacing MySQL with MariaDB in Fedora 19...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4MDY

As a long time PostgreSQL fan, I never understood the draw to MySQL, and wish the whole thing would just die already.

At least I thought MySQL >= 5 could pretend to be a real database, that was, until I gave it a try: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...I/ZLPL5LG4z1YJ

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Fedora Looks To Replace MySQL With MariaDB

Out of fears that Oracle is making MySQL a more closed software project and not being happy with the overall direction of this widely-used database software, Fedora developers are looking at replacing MySQL with MariaDB in Fedora 19...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4MDY
    Just a correction. Jaroslav Reznik is Fedora's program manager and he is not proposing this feature. He is merely announcing it publicly as part of his duties in taking care of the feature proposals and he has been doing that for all the features proposed. The actual proposal comes from Honza.

Default trolllll

Lol... best troll ever.

1) Get MySQL extensively used in the market place through making an awesome database
    2) Sell to Oracle
    3) Profit
    4) Original authors fork GPL code, create a new company and database based on the original code

Open source 1; Oracle 0

I wonder if Oracle will buy monty program and MariaDB again in the future

Quote Originally Posted by kallisti5 View Post
    2) Sell to Oracle
    Ahem... that should read Sun

Bullshit.
    What's happening here is that Red Hat wants to enter the Database (profit) world. The only way is to slowly make MariaDB replace Mysql(Oracle) in their systems like Fedora and then, if everything goes well within 2 years they will start doing enterprise support level for it on Red Hat.

Quote Originally Posted by hubick View Post
    As a long time PostgreSQL fan, I never understood the draw to MySQL, and wish the whole thing would just die already.
    Couldn't agree more. I only use MySQL on existing legacy systems.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Bullshit.
    What's happening here is that Red Hat wants to enter the Database (profit) world. The only way is to slowly make MariaDB replace Mysql(Oracle) in their systems like Fedora and then, if everything goes well within 2 years they will start doing enterprise support level for it on Red Hat.
    No doubt that's a factor but people are leaving MySQL in droves, just like every other open source project that Oracle has inherited. This is not a bad thing and I don't blame them at all.

I've used MySQL but I think that maybe I should go with Postgresql instead.

I've never had any problems with MySQL, but I've read that MySQL mangles the data and is very loose and handles your data bad and that Postgresql handles it much better.
    Also Postgresql have some JSON thing too.

Only thing bad about Postgresql seems to be that it uses some vanity license instead of an established open source license.

I am also having my eyes open at Drizzle, but haven't heard much about it lately.

I knew MySQL was not really a good database, but this level of crap I'd expect from SQLite or something

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Bullshit.
    Yeah, and they'll close source it, just like all of RHEL! /sarcasm

It's OOo vs LO all over again, caused by exact same problem: Oracle being Oracle with exact same solution, fork the code, change the name, the users will switch because they want to have some impact on the software without paying though the nose. I just wonder when we will see a fork of Berkeley DB...
    Last edited by tomato; 01-22-2013 at 05:56 AM.

MySQL and its MariaDB fork are the only databases I know that:

- allows a primary key attribute to accept a NULL value
    - needs an index for foreign key creation
    - ignores anything after the CHECK statement
    - allows the entry of values into foreign key attributes that do not exist in the referenced table

Can it even be called an RDBMS?