Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: GNOME 3.8 Is Moving Along On Its New Features

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,378

    Default GNOME 3.8 Is Moving Along On Its New Features

    Phoronix: GNOME 3.8 Is Moving Along On Its New Features

    Matthias Clasen has issued an update today concerning the progress of new features for the upcoming release of GNOME 3.8...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4MDg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default

    These are not the planned features for 3.8 but general code quality goals. Not particularly interesting for end users.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    These are not the planned features for 3.8 but general code quality goals. Not particularly interesting for end users.
    It's kinda weird that the words "new features" and "end users" still come up in threads about new gnome releases.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dstaubsauger View Post
    It's kinda weird that the words "new features" and "end users" still come up in threads about new gnome releases.
    Yet the Gnome haters are always there

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    These are not the planned features for 3.8 but general code quality goals. Not particularly interesting for end users.
    True of some of them, but not all. Having sensible default names for print to file is a usability-related change, as are the desktop-file keywords and high-contrast icons. And the goal about notification sources is a bit of both - partly an infrastructure cleanup, but also about giving users control over which notifications they want to receive.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Migrate from GSettings and dconf is great.
    Migrate from Python 2 to Python 3 is great.
    Migrate from GStreamer pre-1.0 to 1.0 is great.

    But I don't like the GMenu.
    The GMenu is for GNOME Shell, and I think it sucks, I don't like it. I use GNOME Fallback session.
    To all users who don't use GNOME Shell the GMenu sucks, because it makes all GNOME applications suck when not using GNOME Shell.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    But I don't like the GMenu.
    The GMenu is for GNOME Shell, and I think it sucks, I don't like it. I use GNOME Fallback session.
    To all users who don't use GNOME Shell the GMenu sucks, because it makes all GNOME applications suck when not using GNOME Shell.
    Fair enough... I don't much like it *with* Shell either. I kind of get what they're trying for, but having that "application menu" relocated to the shell panel just doesn't work for me. For starters, it's not particularly obvious that the feature in question is a menu at all, never mind that that's where you might find such things as preferences (or for that matter, the ability to exit the program). And - very unusually for Gnome 3 - it doesn't appear to be keyboard accessible.

    So yeah - unlike you, I'm generally pretty happy with Shell. But this specific feature, not so much.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Fair enough... I don't much like it *with* Shell either. I kind of get what they're trying for, but having that "application menu" relocated to the shell panel just doesn't work for me. For starters, it's not particularly obvious that the feature in question is a menu at all, never mind that that's where you might find such things as preferences (or for that matter, the ability to exit the program). And - very unusually for Gnome 3 - it doesn't appear to be keyboard accessible.

    So yeah - unlike you, I'm generally pretty happy with Shell. But this specific feature, not so much.
    I agree with you here, I just realized I had to use the GMenu for some things like, last week, after using Gnome Shell for months now. I thought preferences for Nautilus and such disappeared :P.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    These are not the planned features for 3.8 but general code quality goals. Not particularly interesting for end users.
    WHO thinks that quality improvements are "not particularly interesting for end users"???

    NOBODY who works on any of my projects, that's for SURE.

    Given the crap quality of the gnome user experience, ANY improvement is welcome by THIS end user. I can't even use gnome anymore. It slows down my computer and me. I don't have the time or the inclination to fight with it. I just install xubuntu and I can get my work done.
    Last edited by frantaylor; 01-22-2013 at 07:47 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Migrate from GSettings and dconf is great.
    Migrate from Python 2 to Python 3 is great.
    Migrate from GStreamer pre-1.0 to 1.0 is great.

    But I don't like the GMenu.
    The GMenu is for GNOME Shell, and I think it sucks, I don't like it. I use GNOME Fallback session.
    To all users who don't use GNOME Shell the GMenu sucks, because it makes all GNOME applications suck when not using GNOME Shell.
    I skimmed over the gmenu docs and I don't have a problem with it, per se, but I don't like that it is going to be tossed into the top bar.
    I HATE ACCESSING APP MENUS AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •