Sheesh, it's weird how a perfectly simple comment goes over people's heads: someone said I was dismissing 'customers'. I was not, since Fedora by definition has no customers. You don't pay anything for it. Simple enough. I'm not saying anyone's cheap, I'm just saying that it is an inescapable fact that Fedora has no customers.

Your post is still borderline incoherent, but let me see if I can extract any sense from it:

"Anaconda is broken and it has been broken since day one and it needs a big overhaul. At first it was just me saying that... now there are plenty of others, are we all wrong?"

Define 'broken'.

Anaconda is an operating system installer. In fact it's one of the most capable operating system installers out there. It can install several million possible combinations of software packages to several million hardware configurations using several million storage configuration possibilities expressed via two completely different methods (interactive install vs. kickstart) and all kinds of other configuration possibilities. So our problem space is at least millions multiplied by millions multiplied by millions multiplied by two, and I'm simplifying.

When you're dealing with a problem space that large, a binary "it's broken" / "it works" distinction is entirely ludicrous. F18 installer has bugs. So did F17 installer. So did F16 installer. So did every installer anyone's ever shipped. F18 installer has more bugs than F17 and F16 (I think this is uncontroversial). Well, so did F15, and we shipped that. It's very difficult to make every release your best release ever. It's basically impossible to make a release which contains a ground-up rewrite of something as complex as an operating system your best release ever.

You had problems with F18's installer, and I'm sorry. Other people did too, indeed. Lots of people had problems with F17's installer, and F16's, and F15's, and so on. Go to the forums for any distribution around the time of a release and you will find people having problems with that release. You cannot possibly release a PC operating system which has no problems. It's just impossible. The problem space is too large.

So again: what does 'broken' mean? Usefully? Believe me, I'm a QA person. This is something I've thought about. Extensively.

As far as big overhaul goes - this is the big overhaul. The whole point is that you can't do a big overhaul and nail it on the first try. It does not need a big overhaul any more, it needs refinement.

"Common sense would dictate that the cheer ammount of changes, and the heavy nature of, you were about to make in fedora WOULD REQUIRE much more than the time you had in the development window."

Ah, "common sense: usually neither". One of my favourite aphorisms. You cannot predicate software development on some vague notion of 'common sense'. What common sense, exactly, allows one to roadmap the development of an extremely complex piece of software? You are the master of common sense: explain to me how you would have made the decision when to jump to newUI by default, given the constraints explained in the above posts?

"so a sane person would either continue to postpone the release or simply skip 18 and deliver a functioning and stable f19."

Oh good, I'm glad you're here to tell me I'm insane. I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

So look at our situation two weeks ago: we're sitting on a build of Fedora which has some issues but basically meets our release criteria. We're already several weeks late. There is lots of good stuff in F18 taken as a whole which people have worked hard on, and which users are expecting to get to play with. Why is it so blindingly obvious that the only sane path is to say 'we're not going to release this for another few months or at all'? Because that's what you're saying. The significant issues left in F18 are not ones that are quick patch-ups. The issue with re-using existing LVM containers, for instance, involves re-working how manual partitioning handles free space calculation, since right now it doesn't really consider the possibility of 'unallocated space inside a VG'. This isn't a one-line fix that can be safely tested in two days. Making changes of that significance effectively throws us back to the Beta phase of development: we would have thrown in some similarly impactful changes and basically restarted the Final validation process. I certainly would've expected that to put back release another month or so.

Sorry, but I disagree: neither of the things you suggested are the only possible choices for "a sane person".

"I mentioned the problems I had in f18's live sessions as they would simply crash firefox and kill the system, someone said they could be due to memory management, strange as f17 never did that and 4gigs were always enough to test f17 beta and it never crashed once."

That's still completely unhelpfully vague as a bug report. What were you doing in Firefox exactly? What does 'kill the system' mean? How much memory does the instance in question have? What error messages do you see? Etc. Fedora validation testing explicitly includes running Firefox in a virtual machine, I did it hundreds of times during release testing, never saw anything like what you're describing, and I haven't seen anyone else report it. I'm not saying you're not seeing a bug. What I'm saying is to bear in mind, as I explained above, that a computer operating system is a ridiculously complex thing and it can be deployed in literally billions of billions of configurations. There is absolutely no way we can guarantee weird bugs won't happen in some cases. On the contrary, they always have and always will. Check the history of absolutely any Linux-related discussion forum for this. You hit one in F18 you didn't hit in F17. That doesn't mean F18 is a crime against nature.

"When the final release came I picked up a windows 7 laptop that had plenty of unpartioned space and installed by selecting 'boot device yes' (grub installed well) and I did let anaconda do everything automatically since it said it required no input (how hard could it be really, 1 partition with windows 7, 200g of unpartioned disk space)."

This story never appears to finish in your post, but are you saying you did an 'automatic' install into empty space and it worked? If so, er, yay?

" Manually partitioning the disk is a clusterfuck, mount point 500mb ?? I even picked standard partition as I had no need for LVM."

I have no idea what you're talking about. Uh. Yes, a typical F18 install would include a 500MB mount point, I guess? That's the standard size of the /boot partition. What is your problem here?

"During install I get a Kmod 04044 something error and then it boots into the fedora logo, the wi fi lights light up etc but blank screen... blank screen... blank screen."

Er, but you've just talked about the partitioning process, so it sounds like you got there. What? Are you talking about a different machine here? What the hell is going on? I'm going to guess you got a kernel slowpath warn from abrt during live install (which happens sometimes) and then after install the installed system wouldn't boot. Okay, that's unfortunate, but I really can't begin to guess what the problem might be given that you don't say what your hardware is or really provide any other useful details...did you try any of the standard troubleshooting steps?

" ext4 partitions couldnt be mounted due to fs incompabilities etc etc... "

if this is what I'm thinking of, it's nothing Fedora-specific, it's just changes within ext4. I recall reading about something similar affecting Ubuntu users upgrading from 12.04 to 12.10. But again, you provide absolutely no useful details.

" I'm sorry but I had 0 problems, ZERO, with any linux distro thus far. "

That's funny, it looks like you had a problem with Lightworks crashing in Ubuntu 13.04:

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...000#post306000

and a problem running various distros - at least Ubuntu and MorphOS - on PowerPC:

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...271#post305271

These are not problems with distros?