Valve Pushes Out Half-Life For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richi902 View Post
    counter-strike showed up in the linux cdr, about an hour ago too.
    Oh. My. God

Comment

So does this mean that their Source games all run fine now that they have moved on?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
        So does this mean that their Source games all run fine now that they have moved on?
        My guess would be that they have different teams working on each of the different engines. A while back I heard they were waiting at least till the release of ubuntu 12.04.2 to do their proper Steam for Linux release. They will probably need some testing to make sure things work well with that release but after that we should hopefully finally be getting out of beta which is when I would imagine they will bombard us with a sizable chunk of the Valve library.

Comment

I'm confused as to why they ported the GoldSrc version. They've got an official build of the original Half Life that runs on the newer source engine, why not use that one?

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
            I'm confused as to why they ported the GoldSrc version. They've got an official build of the original Half Life that runs on the newer source engine, why not use that one?
            Porting older titles allows people with hardware that wont run tf2(on linux), to be part of the valve beta loop.
            One of the older lappys here can only run tf2 -on windows-, so i cant wait to test CS and see what happens.

Besides, its probably less trouble.

Comment

I suppose they don't care just for this specific game but for the collection of the games that runs on goldsrc.

Comment

According to a User named Fred, he emailed Valve about the goldsrc engine a yesterday or whatnot, telling them what a win/win senario it would be for them... who knows... (you can find this in the half-life(beta) post in the community section of Steam4Linux)

Comment

Any way to buy it without Steam?

Comment

I just clicked properties on Counter Strike in the Steam Linux client and joined this SteamPipe Beta, Counter Strike is now installed on my Linux steam client.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
                      1. GoldSrc is heavily optimized for OpenGL and Source is apparently using a D3D to OpenGL wrapper on Linux or some such thing.

2. Mods. Lots and lots of mods.

3. Other GoldSrc games inculding the HL spin-offs.

4. Many Linux users outside of the US are running setups with hardware that is several years old, making GoldSrc the perfect choice to port due to it's age and level of optimization for that sort of hardware, so that they can get a taste of what Steam can offer them.

Comment

Working...
                      X