Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 257

Thread: Fedora Proposal To Use Cinnamon Desktop By Default

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    278

    Thumbs down Vocal anti-GS trolls

    Quote Originally Posted by kigurai View Post
    I see a vocal disgruntled minority.
    Yes, this should conclude this and any past Gnome shell related rants - the anti-GS bashing gets so pronunced (and boring by now!) only because of those disgruntled are unproportionally vocal and, usually, proportionally (to how vocal they are) ignorant. Thousands just use their GS-powered desktops, and thousands prefer not to get involved in such disputes. As for me, no more! I've ignored too many anti-GS trolling.

    Putting the common anti-GS trolling aside, you people are often of that geriatric-mule type, willing to bite and spit on anyone even mentioning learning new things. Also you can't comprehend that some activities take longer for you, because you're doing it wrong. Do you know that guy who altough copies files reasonably fast does this by by Select file > Edit > Copy > select another folder > Edit > Paste. Yup, you're no better!

    Also why you're so eager to trash default GS in Fedora. No one stops you from installing Cinnamon as it is now! Or any other DE for that matter. Choose another DE, use it and be gone!

    PS. As an experiment use Ubunut's Unity for a while. Perhaps this piece of crap will make you appreciate GS.
    Last edited by Bucic; 01-25-2013 at 04:19 PM.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finalzone View Post
    Oh yes there is. I use Gnome Shell everyday as a graphic/web designer with one hand on keyboard (switching to different workspace) and another with mouse (sometime tablet with stylus).
    I would like to use Gnome Shell, but I am unable to figure out how to use multiple windows simultaneously. Is there any tutorial/video from gnome devs demonstrating their idea on how to work with multiple windows effectively?
    My use case is a basic R&D, creating document or program which requires consulting multiple sources of information like internet, ebooks, IM contacts, mails, multiple servers and locations on disk. So I have about 20 windows opened, and at any given moment I need to see, at least partially, 2 or 3 of them simultaneously. After a few minutes, depending on their content I may need to work with another 2 or 3 windows from those 20 or close some of them and open some new.

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    Yes, this should conclude this and any past Gnome shell related rants - the anti-GS bashing gets so pronunced only because of those disgruntled are unproportionally vocal and, usually, proportionally (to how vocal they are) ignorant.
    This is the most stupid explanation ever, but maybe that's why it's so common in the gnome world. You're simply mistaken. The gnome fanboys scream the loudest, but there are many more anti-gnome shell users. It's such simple.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    Yes, this should conclude this and any past Gnome shell related rants - the anti-GS bashing gets so pronunced (and boring by now!) only because of those disgruntled are unproportionally vocal and, usually, proportionally (to how vocal they are) ignorant.
    I think you are wrong. The rejection of Gnome Shell is almost universal. There is a silent majority that doesn't care for it and a very vocal minority that despises it. The only people who appreciate gnome shell are its developers and a few people that use their desktop computer the same as a tablet. This is the first time I've ever posted on this issue, and it's to say I prefer cinnamon. Thanks, see ya.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    I enjoy it thoroughly when even the devs of gnome3 (Red Hat) give a big fuck you to gnome3. So after all the camp that hates gnome3 was right all along wasn't it? You just needed 2 years to see what we saw from the beginning: Gnome 3 is useless shit.
    How has Red Hat given Gnome3 the finger exactly? Because one Fedora package maintainer suggested something else?

    As to guessing what the majority of users are thinking, I think you are all talking out of your hats if you do not have any real data.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Hi. I think that some things here need clarification.
    First of all, I used all major Linux desktop environment on a daily basis (as many did here I'm pretty sure), and if you ask me, there is no such "best desktop", "most productive desktop", or whatever nearing this. Desktop efficiency is a matter of routine, it's a set of mechanisms that are made available to the user. I think I am as productive with GNOME 3 as I was with XFCE, KDE 3/4 or Openbox + tint2. The fact is that the taskbar is gone, it is true. But it has been replaced by other means of doing the same thing. In fact I think that's all I can think of when I try to understand some negative viewpoints. The fact is that my particular case is inverted compared to these : as I'm kind of a pragmatic guy, I told myself "just try KDE or XFCE once again, or Cinnamon or MATE". And in fact I'm so used to my new routines with GNOME 3 that I just lose so much time using another desktop environment. But in fact if I used them a little bit more, I think I'd get approximatively the same efficiency. The fact is that GNOME 3 feels so much more intuitive to me.

    However. I think that the main argument which corrupts threads on this particular subject is the use of the term "gnome fanboys"... well I think that if we're to deal seriously with computing, let's just consider that there exists another category, which I would simply call "GNOME users". And that changes everything because indeed, there are GNOME haters. Well, it's up to them. Nobody forces nothing on the end-user, GNOME 3 didn't kill GNOME 2 (see MATE which is really healthy and supported by many distros), and other environments are still free to provide something different. I think that they were right to be kind of stubborn, because without this behaviour, if they listened to the vast majority of the complaints they met, the alternative, which GNOME 3 is, would not exist. And thus, let me remind you that Linux has a long tradition of diversity, which comes with openness, and freedom of choice for the end user. So their stubbornness spawned yet another alternative, thus I think this is positive. Not because I use it - as I hinted to earlier I may be using some awesome tiling manager tomorrow - but because it has been fruitful in providing another solution.

    Someone pointed at the fact that a Linux Desktop Environment must be fully customized, well I think GNOME 3 got it right with extensions. And in fact it is opposed to KDE philosophy which I respect as well - just not my thing any more - because when you install KDE, you've got everything included. GNOME 3 goes for installing only what you need, and I don't see the bad in it. Yes, hiding logout may not be great for someone who adds his user to a new group but, did that ever come to your mind, that someone who's able to add his user to a group may be able to simply restart GDM because he knows how to do it from the command line ? I do not tell you that using the command line feels especially practical, but however to add a user to a group in GNOME 3, you've got to use the command line, to begin with.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    I enjoy it thoroughly when even the devs of gnome3 (Red Hat) give a big fuck you to gnome3. So after all the camp that hates gnome3 was right all along wasn't it? You just needed 2 years to see what we saw from the beginning: Gnome 3 is useless shit.
    And you are not worth being linux user. Go back to windows.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188 View Post
    And you are not worth being linux user. Go back to windows.
    Gnome 3 is crap. It takes longer to do stuff like minimise a window or even select a new program to load.
    It is awful and it single handedly pushed back the Linux cause by a good 3 years.
    BYEBYE GNOME 3

    Due to gnome 3 I switched to CentOS and Sabayon MATE.
    Bad move by Fedora and I hope they put it right by moving to Cinnamon.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    PS. As an experiment use Ubunut's Unity for a while. Perhaps this piece of crap will make you appreciate GS.
    The sad thing is that even that broken pile of crap is more popular than the current GNOME default.

    It's incredible how much desktop share GNOME burned. GNOME 2 was by far the most popular desktop around, GNOME Shell is not even close to 50%. People went over to Unity, Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE and are returning to KDE. It was such a failure that now GNOME is bringing the classic desktop back from the dead.

    It's absolutely hilarious how little fanboys get their panties in the bunch that some people out there do not like their "official" and "only correct" desktop. If you prefer something else, you are wrong and evil There are no two ways to skin a cat, only the GNOME developers' way, or the electric chair. Just use it if you like it and let other people use what they prefer, FFS.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ostrobothnia, Finland
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I don't understand this hatred against Gnome. I'm running Fedora 17 with Gnome on one desktop, one laptop and two netbooks. Fedora 18 on my main workstation. All of my family (wife and kids) have been using them happily. We have all been using Linux for a couple of years. I have even installed Fedora 17 for my sister and she is happily using it now. I must confess that I have an old 486 laptop on the shelf with Windows 98, though.

    I have been a Redhat user since Redhat 6 (the old one) and been through all Fedora versions on my main workstation (which has been gradually upgraded so none of the original hardware is left). Occasionally I have taken trips with CentOS, Debian, Suse, Gentoo, Mandrake and even Slackware (+ special distros such as IPCop) on some spare PC. All of the Fedora versions (as long as I can remember) have been upgraded with yum or preupgrade to the new version. I have NEVER reinstalled or formatted my main workstation (of course I have copied the OS onto new disks when upgrading hard disks).

    My favorite desktops have been at times KDE and XFCE. At some point I began using mostly Gnome. When Gnome 3 was introduced I thought it felt like an improvement, because I don't have to spend time to work with Gnome 3 like other desktops. I mean, it feels like it stays out of the way and let me work with my applications. Of course, it is not perfect. I miss some configuration options now and then. Then again, I am a very terminal guy and not very GUI centric. Many of my applications run in screens in command windows. So maybe I am not the typical desktop user. But my family members have never complained.

    Anyway, all this ranting about Gnome 3 feels like misconducted, stupid and arrogant complaining about something that you don't even have to care about! In the FOSS world, if you don't like something, just use something else! Simple as that. And it is not hard to report a bug when something isn't working. I've reported a few.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •