Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 Years & Kicking: FreeDOS Is Still Alive

Default 14 Years & Kicking: FreeDOS Is Still Alive

Phoronix: 14 Years & Kicking: FreeDOS Is Still Alive

FreeDOS, the open-source DOS operating system, is still alive and seeing activity around the GPL-licensed project though the FreeDOS SVN code repository hasn't seen any activity in nearly one year...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2Mzg

There are some great games for DOS, like Little Big Adventure for example. But most of them can be played using DosBox AFAIK. I really see no reason to keep FreeDOS alive.

Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    There are some great games for DOS, like Little Big Adventure for example. But most of them can be played using DosBox AFAIK. I really see no reason to keep FreeDOS alive.
    Only to ship it in pcs without so

Default Btrfs

Why are people asking for Btrfs for FreeDOS? LOL!

FreeDOS doesn't need advanced stuff such as Btrfs, virtualization, PulseAudio, X.org, Python, Ruby, etc.

What FreeDOS needs is good compatibility with MS-DOS, long file name support, international text editing support, etc.

Though, it would be pretty cool if Midnight Commander ran on FreeDOS.

I fired it up on my Toshiba Libretto a few months ago just for laughs. The SSH client and Arachne web browser worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    Hmm, what OS are you running inside DosBox? :-)

FreeDOS needs a package management system else it will never be able to take over the desktop PC market.

I have a FreeDOS floppy image that I can PXE boot for installing BIOS updates on old systems.

Quote Originally Posted by jhansonxi View Post
    FreeDOS needs a package management system else it will never be able to take over the desktop PC market.
    FreeDOS is not intended to take over the desktop PC market.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    FreeDOS is not intended to take over the desktop PC market.
    You're really oblivious to sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by jhansonxi View Post

I have a FreeDOS floppy image that I can PXE boot for installing BIOS updates on old systems.
    it drives me mad that mobo makers don't ship the OS to flash the BIOS and just tell the person to google it. its not that bad anymore since many boards let you flash directly from the BIOS (which is the proper way that is independent of the OS) or Windows.