Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Counter-Strike 1.6 Also Native To Linux

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Fahk I played this game waaay to much... It's about to suck more life from me. God damn you Valve... and thanks.
    DE_rats had to be the best map ever!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Stuck in "item paused on 100% in my game library and when i try to run it it says "Content still encrypted'" either joining SteamPipe or not, and this on Windows too...

    One linux user mused that maybe "CS 1.6 does not work on Linux without owning Half Life at this point." meh

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
    Stuck in "item paused on 100% in my game library and when i try to run it it says "Content still encrypted'" either joining SteamPipe or not, and this on Windows too...

    One linux user mused that maybe "CS 1.6 does not work on Linux without owning Half Life at this point." meh
    This is correct - right now there is a (bugged, shouldn't be the case) dependency on owning Half-Life. Buy that, or wait for them to fix the issue

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    I noticed that too, first it was downloaded to common/Counter-Strike, then the binaries got removed from there and it was downloaded to common/Half-Life as addon - but you needed to uninstall Counter-Strike first from the menu. It still does not run with 1024x600 res fullscreen. In case you you set language to English but your system locale is not en_US.UTF-8 you should add that as well as alternative otherwise you get an error popup.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    This is correct - right now there is a (bugged, shouldn't be the case) dependency on owning Half-Life. Buy that, or wait for them to fix the issue
    There are people with CS who don't own Half-Life ?!

    Does this mean owners oh Half Life can automatically play cs without having payed for it?
    Just like back in the day, I had the free mod versions of DOD, CS, TFC etc all installed on Half-Life WON and when I registered Half-Life it counted my mods as well and gave me the retail steam versions.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Anyone tried it with Intel graphics (Gen4)? I would assume SB would run it, but I am hoping a pre-SB (gen4 i5) might be able to run these older games. I tried the TF demo and it pretty much was unplayable on my laptop, the game would just blank screen on startup and not load. Also, anyone have any experiance/benchmarks or anything on SB or IB ? Are those actually good enough on Linux to play any of Valve's games?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kickback999 View Post
    There are people with CS who don't own Half-Life ?!
    People who bought CS as a standalone product on Steam, yes.

    Does this mean owners oh Half Life can automatically play cs without having payed for it?
    Nope - they need to have a license to Counter-Strike in their Steam account

    Just like back in the day, I had the free mod versions of DOD, CS, TFC etc all installed on Half-Life WON and when I registered Half-Life it counted my mods as well and gave me the retail steam versions.
    All retail Half-Life and standalone retail Counter-Strike keys can be activated on Steam for a *complete* set of GoldSrc games.

    This workaround was used for two reasons:

    • Steam's key entry system did not support the key format used by Opposing Force, so they just gave it for free to everyone who owned HL1
    • There's no actual difference between retail HL1 and retail CS keys, so Valve treats them as the same thing


    It was easiest to just say "balls to it, anyone who owns one thing owns ALL THE THINGS" than find a more precise way of giving people only what they paid for.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
    Anyone tried it with Intel graphics (Gen4)? I would assume SB would run it, but I am hoping a pre-SB (gen4 i5) might be able to run these older games. I tried the TF demo and it pretty much was unplayable on my laptop, the game would just blank screen on startup and not load. Also, anyone have any experiance/benchmarks or anything on SB or IB ? Are those actually good enough on Linux to play any of Valve's games?
    Half-Life is from 1998, it should run happily on a shoe, let alone on Intel graphics

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
    Anyone tried it with Intel graphics (Gen4)? I would assume SB would run it, but I am hoping a pre-SB (gen4 i5) might be able to run these older games. I tried the TF demo and it pretty much was unplayable on my laptop, the game would just blank screen on startup and not load. Also, anyone have any experiance/benchmarks or anything on SB or IB ? Are those actually good enough on Linux to play any of Valve's games?
    Do you have S3TC installed?

    http://gamesystemrequirements.com/games.php?id=10

    It will run on a Pentium 133Mhz 24Mb of PC66 SDRAM and an 8Mb GPU. It doesn't even need MMX. You should be able to play it in complete emulation...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    This is correct - right now there is a (bugged, shouldn't be the case) dependency on owning Half-Life. Buy that, or wait for them to fix the issue
    it's fixed now. yay

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •