Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wayland/Weston 1.0.4 Released; Per-Output Workspaces

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    That's not about Xorg, it's about your WM. X does not know or care about workspaces.

So if you want that behavior on X, just use a proper WM instead of blaming X
    X has a shared surface for all screens where Wayland has one per output so it has a tendency to dictate how it works in the wm

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    X has a shared surface for all screens where Wayland has one per output so it has a tendency to dictate how it works in the wm
    True but Kwin, Mutter and Compiz spend most of their time bypassing X to begin with. It wouldnt surprise me if this was another area where (some) of them bypassed X as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pajn View Post
    Great!

Can't wait until 14.10 when Ubuntu should use Wayland as default (my opinion), Compiz drives me crazy.
    I think you mean Weston. Wayland is the protocol, Weston is the compositor implementation. Though I don't really see Canonical using Weston - it is supposed to be a reference implementation. They like their WM candy. I'd like to see them adopt Kwin, since they apparently hate Mutter, so we have less fragmentation. And since Unity is written in c++ and the phone apps are going to be in qt, I guess having a qt based wm would make sense.