Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimizing Mesa Performance With Compiler Flags

Hybrid View

Default Optimizing Mesa Performance With Compiler Flags

Phoronix: Optimizing Mesa Performance With Compiler Flags

Compiler tuning can lead to performance improvements for many computational benchmarks by toying with the CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS, but is there much gain out of optimizing your Mesa build? Here's some benchmark results...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4NTY

I would be very interested in how the -O1, -O2, -O3 compares to -Os (optimize for size). When code is smaller you get fewer cache misses which leads to faster execution. Ruby is known to run faster with -Os.

Quote Originally Posted by ncopa View Post
    I would be very interested in how the -O1, -O2, -O3 compares to -Os (optimize for size). When code is smaller you get fewer cache misses which leads to faster execution. Ruby is known to run faster with -Os.
    my friend please provide a bench or too to back that claim up. I have found no tests for ruby using -0s. I would welcome a link for those tests.
    PS In that search I found the "Falcon patch" which regardless of the flags made ruby much faster

I guess the bottleneck of most videogames is not OpenGL, unless the game is designed for high-end graphics card. Check this with any profiler: gl... calls are almost unnoticeable amoung game physics and logic. Compiling the actual software and main libraries instead of driver could give a very different result.

so the flags do exactly what the manpage says: -O2 is a good, stable optimization, while -O3 needs more compile time and may or may not improve the resulting binary so it is mostly a waste of energy and time (except you like playing and consider compiling Linux with all flag permutations as a game). I would only enable it for single applications if I am not satisfied with -O2 (it seemed that ffmpeg gained a little performance from -O3 but I did not benchmark this).
    In my experience in most cases -O3 does not improve the performance noticably (like in the article) and additionally the -Os and -O3 flags can break programs because of unpredicted segfaults.
    So the only compile flags I use for years are -march=..., -O2 and for gcc: -pipe
    For software it is better anyways to use efficient algorithms to solve a problem, no compiler optimization can improve an exponential algorithm into a linear one, it just creates a little better exponential code (or not).

There are quite big differences between O2 and O3 with some software, especially if it's C++ with templates.

Bullet physics was close to 10x slower with O2, same result with Os, when compared to O3 last I tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockal View Post
    I guess the bottleneck of most videogames is not OpenGL, unless the game is designed for high-end graphics card. Check this with any profiler: gl... calls are almost unnoticeable amoung game physics and logic. Compiling the actual software and main libraries instead of driver could give a very different result.
    Not in my experience. I've run a lot of benchmarks and games, and 'sysprof' often shows that _mesa_* calls (which are the actual implementation of the gl* calls) are a very noticable percentage.

I've always* built Mesa with -O3 and not once had an issue that was because of that.

* not built git in the last 3-4 months since it requires newer autofoo and I'm too lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ryszardzonk View Post
    my friend please provide a bench or too to back that claim up.
    Use the link in my post. (click on "known").

Quote Originally Posted by ncopa View Post
    It does not matter if this code is not a bottleneck.