Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Egosoft Gets To Releasing Their Games On Linux

Default Egosoft Gets To Releasing Their Games On Linux

Phoronix: Egosoft Gets To Releasing Their Games On Linux

Back in November, Egosoft expressed interest in bringing their games to Linux over Steam, and now this effort is becoming a reality. X3 Reunion is in beta under their in-house porting efforts...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4NTc

I don't understand. Χ3-Reunion has been already ported by LGP and now is being ported once again by Egosoft?

Their LGP versions are practically unusable on modern distros. Will they sell their new builds outside Steam? It's going to be really annoying if all these new ports will be distributed only through DRMed channels.
    Last edited by shmerl; 01-28-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Unusable? Why?

Probably built for older systems. Last time I tried - it didn't work. Example:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82285

I can give it a try again, since Debian testing already switched to multiarch proper and it could be some x86_64 / i386 issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    Their LGP versions are practically unusable on modern distros. Will they sell their new builds outside Steam? It's going to be really annoying if all these new ports will be distributed only through DRMed channels.
    Steam don't enforce DRM usage.

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    Steam don't enforce DRM usage.
    Can you get the installer for the game and install it without connecting to Steam? And then run it without running Steam client? If so - then indeed it doesn't enforce DRM. But I was under the impression that above is impossible. For example Desura offers their client as a convenient way to get updates, but you can always get the standalone installer if you need to.

As an owner of X2 and X3 in steam i'm very happy.

So how do you get access to the beta? Is it just a case of already owning a copy on Steam?

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    Can you get the installer for the game and install it without connecting to Steam? And then run it without running Steam client? If so - then indeed it doesn't enforce DRM. But I was under the impression that above is impossible.
    Steam is only always requred for the initial download.