Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Nepomuk Sees Major Improvements In KDE 4.10

Quote Originally Posted by schmalzler View Post
    kwin should not be affected, as startkde actually works
    You can even use KWin as a standalone window manager (run kwin --replace on some XFCE environment for example) so it's not in anyway dependent of startkde script or systemd.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    My favourite example: Add the qalculate plasmoid, type in 2^10000000 and press enter. The complete desktop hangs. And when it is done with calculating, click on it: 100% cpu usage from kdeinit4 for several seconds. Just run plasmoids in their own threads or even processes already.
    This. And please, PLEASE, make them run in different processes -- the diagnosing of such problems (and memory leaks) will be instantaneous and not requiring even developer tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    My favourite example: Add the qalculate plasmoid, type in 2^10000000 and press enter. The complete desktop hangs. And when it is done with calculating, click on it: 100% cpu usage from kdeinit4 for several seconds. Just run plasmoids in their own threads or even processes already.
    This should already be fixed in Plasma2. IIRC lower-end changes in Qt were required first and Qt5 offers those.

Quote Originally Posted by tomato View Post
    This. And please, PLEASE, make them run in different processes -- the diagnosing of such problems (and memory leaks) will be instantaneous and not requiring even developer tools.
    I don't think that is feasible. Plasmoids is not some additional widgets. They are the core desktop. as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I don't think that is feasible. Plasmoids is not some additional widgets. They are the core desktop. as I understand it.
    It was done in plasma2, which will be in KDE5.0 whenever that comes out.

I don't think the devs considered porting that work back to KDE4 because it's going to cause a pretty massive API change, breaking widgets that rely on being in the same process as the desktop.