Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Has Open-Source Driver For HD 8000 Series

I think most of the mess comes down to 2D, which uses glamor that doesn't work too well, has compatibility issues and isn't feature complete (e.g. no xvideo).

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Mesa-git (9.1?) or a Work-In-Progress branch? Like when 9.1 hits will it be fairly usable or do you mean that a developer has good, working, support in a separate branch and we're looking at 9.2/10.0?
    Support is in the mesa 9.1 branch and git master. The level of functionality is the same as the chips already supported by radeonsi.

Gj AMD.

How is chatchup game going? Are you satisfy with the date you can start on hardware enabelment? Or will you start 9xxx even earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    radeonsi support coming along nicely. Desktop effects and a lot of games are working well. I don't know why Michael keeps saying it's a mess.
    Beginner's question from my side: What is needed to use a Radeon 7x50 card on Linux? Is a Ubuntu 13.04 okay or will I need to upgrade mesa/drivers/kernel manually from git? What about Ubuntu 12.04?

Quote Originally Posted by Asariati View Post
    Beginner's question from my side: What is needed to use a Radeon 7x50 card on Linux? Is a Ubuntu 13.04 okay or will I need to upgrade mesa/drivers/kernel manually from git? What about Ubuntu 12.04?
    Well, as the article says, you could use a Radeon 7x50 card on Linux from day one thanks to Catalyst (just pointing this out as your wording did call for it). As for the free driver support, I am not sure. I doubt it would work properly with Ubuntu 12.04 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Well, as the article says, you could use a Radeon 7x50 card on Linux from day one thanks to Catalyst (just pointing this out as your wording did call for it). As for the free driver support, I am not sure. I doubt it would work properly with Ubuntu 12.04 though.
    My question was about the OSS driver of course. No need to update mesa for Catalyst from git, I think.

My question was about the OSS driver of course. No need to update mesa for Catalyst from git, I think.
    You could probably get the latest mesa etc from git(or PPA) on Ubuntu 12.04 was well, if you are to go down that path.

It was quite a learning curve but I got it to work with some help (after fglrx kept crashing.) See here for a script: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=59703

BTW, Alex, no progress with testing on my side - too much work, sorry.

Angry

From the article:

[...] with the new "RadeonSI" Gallium3D driver it's been very slow to develop. Basic OpenGL demos will run on the HD 7000 series hardware, but not much more [...]
    Michael, will you please stop repeating this lie?

OpenGL 2.1 functionality is shaping up pretty nicely in radeonsi for the Mesa 9.1 release. Over the last couple of days, I've tested games such as Open Arena, Red Eclipse, Tremulous, Nexuiz (with a pending LLVM R600 backend fix) and many more, and we're approaching 95% pass rate for piglit.

If you have trouble reproducing these results, please ask on the mailing lists or on IRC. The normal support channels are open to you just like anyone else, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCooper View Post
    From the article:

Michael, will you please stop repeating this lie?

OpenGL 2.1 functionality is shaping up pretty nicely in radeonsi for the Mesa 9.1 release. Over the last couple of days, I've tested games such as Open Arena, Red Eclipse, Tremulous, Nexuiz (with a pending LLVM R600 backend fix) and many more, and we're approaching 95% pass rate for piglit.

If you have trouble reproducing these results, please ask on the mailing lists or on IRC. The normal support channels are open to you just like anyone else, you know.
    How do you estimate performance levels? Is LLVM shader compiler enables you to approach performance of fgrlx?