Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calligra 2.6 Released

Hybrid View

Default Calligra 2.6 Released

Phoronix: Calligra 2.6 Released

Version 2.6 of the KDE-focused Calligra office suite was released today...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5NDA

after some of the other forum members suggested libreoffice was crap and calligra was so superior, I figured I'd give it a shot, especially considering I'm a KDE user so I wouldn't have too many dependencies. All i have to say is for a 20 year old project, I'm not impressed. calligra shines in some aspects that libreoffice doesn't, but calligra is heavily outnumbered by libreoffice's benefits. What I would have to say though is whatever LO doesn't do, calligra might make up for it.

Krita is a great painting program! Can't wait till Arch gets 2.6 so I can play with all the improvements

Default two points on my wishlist

There are two things that I feel are needed in order to be able to use Calligra instead of LO:

- ability to save in legacy (.doc, .docx) formats (+ improve LO .odt compatibility, especially presentations can look very different)
    - ability to use a reference manager like Zotero

Otherwise I really like it, but out of laziness I will stay on LO for now and keep Calligra in the background...

WRONG : .mobi isn't yet supported, that will come with 2.6.1

-improve LO .odt compatibility, especially presentations can look very different
    Wrong wording IMO: under no circumstances should they strive for supporting a specific implementation, if that implementation is broken; LO should be fixed. (I don't know if that's the case).

I tried to use it several times, when I felt like "give it a chance". Words for writing a simple text document. It just crashed - when writing simple plain unformatted text (as you do with text editors).
    The other time I used sheets. Filling in some cells + sum up values. I don't know what I did wrong, but from a certain point the document took about 1 minute to load or to save. Loading this document once in libreoffice took the same time, but after that it was fixed even in calligra (instant loading/saving).
    There are some really bad crashers/bugs when addind a spreadsheet shape (all reported, not yet fixed in git master...).

This was with calligra-2.5.2+2.5.3, so no "ancient" versions... (wasn't 2.5 when they claimed calligra - at least some parts - finally was ready for productive use?)

Quote Originally Posted by Serafean View Post
    WRONG : .mobi isn't yet supported, that will come with 2.6.1

Wrong wording IMO: under no circumstances should they strive for supporting a specific implementation, if that implementation is broken; LO should be fixed. (I don't know if that's the case).
    I think I'm seen some blog when a calligra developer wrote aboute LO don't always follow the specifications. I got the impression he hoped the LO/OO split should enforce this in long term.

Quote Originally Posted by staalmannen View Post
    ability to save in legacy (.doc, .docx) formats (+ improve LO .odt compatibility, especially presentations can look very different)
    Save support for both formats is not needed. RTF is the superior legacy format: Not only is it fully documented and there is probably not a single application out there that understands .doc but not RTF.

Quote Originally Posted by kayosiii View Post
    my understanding is that the wordprocessor is the youngest part of the suite. It's one of the few parts that date after the KOffice split. I have been doing a bit of editing with it and so far I am happy. Krita 2.6 is awesome and well worth the update
    Yes, Calligra Words is a new project. Some pieces were ported from KWord but the majority is new which is also the reason why Words has no RTF export (which KWord had the internal architecture is too different for a simple port).

Default Spell checker

Where is it?

Last time I used Calligra it had some option for autocheck.

It's like Microsoft/Apple trying to sell you Maps when Googles are far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by F i L View Post
    Krita is a great painting program! Can't wait till Arch gets 2.6 so I can play with all the improvements
    Yes. In my experience it's the most advanced digital drawing/painting software in existence, there's simply no better alternative, either proprietary or free. But they should really advertise it better because almost no one seems to know about it.

As for the rest of Calligra, I've no idea, LibreOffice has always worked fine for me.