Thread: Open-Source NVIDIA Tegra Becoming More Exciting

Default Open-Source NVIDIA Tegra Becoming More Exciting

Phoronix: Open-Source NVIDIA Tegra Becoming More Exciting

Now that I'm back in the United States, I'm beginning to upload the Phoronix recordings of the X.Org development talks that happened this past weekend in Brussels at FOSDEM 2013. Here's the video of the NVIDIA Open Tegra talk that covers the ongoing work for creating an open-source graphics driver for NVIDIA's increasingly popular ARM SoCs...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5NDc

Could someone give lazy people who don't want to watch a 24 minute video(me), the gist of it?

This is a very interesting development. I expect that some time in the future tegra's GPU will catch up to the desktop archtecture, so in a way, they are also paving the way to open source geforce drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Figueiredo View Post
    This is a very interesting development. I expect that some time in the future tegra's GPU will catch up to the desktop archtecture, so in a way, they are also paving the way to open source geforce drivers.
    They don't even use unified shaders yet, and have two orders of magnitude less shader cores. Don't hold your breath. Mobile and desktop GPUs are very different beasts. Will be for many years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Figueiredo View Post
    Their desktop nv drivers were thrown away as worthless crap. Their tegra driver's aren't any better.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    They don't even use unified shaders yet, and have two orders of magnitude less shader cores. Don't hold your breath. Mobile and desktop GPUs are very different beasts. Will be for many years at least.
    So, it looks like not that many years afterall.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...l-support-cuda

If tegra 5 has kepler graphics, either android drivers will be able to support desktop GPUs very easily (good news for Mir), which seems more likely, or forceware or whatever their geforce driver is called will support tegras, android (and, therefore, mir). So, in any way, it seems only AMD is left out at this time.

Interesting times ahead indeed.