Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving On From An X.Org World To Wayland

I hope I can run my KDE desktop on KWin with Wayland support soon. With prop. NVIDIA driver of course. *dream*

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    I hope I can run my KDE desktop on KWin with Wayland support soon. With prop. NVIDIA driver of course. *dream*
    Amen. I personally never cared for open source GPU drivers - I do care for functional, stable and performant drivers though, with good documentation on how to use them, examples, as well as liberal licensing (e.g. royalty-free).

KDE on Wayland would be -sweet-!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinN View Post
    Amen. I personally never cared for open source GPU drivers - I do care for functional, stable and performant drivers though, with good documentation on how to use them, examples, as well as liberal licensing (e.g. royalty-free).

KDE on Wayland would be -sweet-!
    KDEs UI seams to be very efficient already compared to Gnome Shell on my old Laptop. It is very snappy despite all the eye candy. With Gnome it took about half a second everytime i clicked a tray icon until I got a rather jerky response. KDE deserves a good display sever.

Nice watch, can't wait till Wayland is more supported in the Linux world. I won't be able to use it till AMD or NVidia ports their drivers to it (or Intel suddenly starts making faster graphics chips), so I really hope those companies are looking into supporting it soon.

My understanding was that Wayland worked with the radeon and nouveau open source drivers today.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    My understanding was that Wayland worked with the radeon and nouveau open source drivers today.
    Judging by his comment about "faster GPU's" im thinking hes restricting himself to the closed source drivers.

Bridgman, I realize you probably can't say anything even if you did know, but Im gonna ask anyway just in case: any rumors spreading at AMD about FGLRX support for Wayland now that the protocol has been finalized and guaranteed stable?

Video not playable in Firefox:
    http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.con...land_and_X.mp4

Please add this video to the video tag on the page:
    http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.con...land_and_X.ogv

Quote Originally Posted by F i L View Post
    Nice watch, can't wait till Wayland is more supported in the Linux world. I won't be able to use it till AMD or NVidia ports their drivers to it (or Intel suddenly starts making faster graphics chips), so I really hope those companies are looking into supporting it soon.
    It shouldn't be too much work for Nvidia and AMD to port their drivers to support wayland because all the functionality is already there. It's just a matter of changing apis and spliting code into components to support EGL, GLES, DRM and KMS. DRM and KMS modules might be problematic with the binary blobs, though , but they already do it for Android, as far as I know. The GPL remains a concern here, because DRM and KMS propietary modules could be seen as a derivative work of the Linux kernel, whereas the current binary blobs are not (linux support is a derivative work of propietary code not originaly written for Linux)
    Last edited by newwen; 02-07-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frign View Post
    Ok, I digged in a bit and found out that you can download the video using public-ftp (bypassing the faulty http-handling) with this URL, shouldn't even wget work for you:

ftp://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux....land_and_X.mp4
    Probably more likely would be for X to become a virtual, and virtual/X to be satisfied by either x11-base/xorg-x11 or dev-libs/wayland. That would be less disruptive to the rest of the portage tree. Actually I doubt that the second option for the virtual would really be dev-libs/wayland - rather something else built on top of wayland. Right now "emerge -ptv weston" finds no package, nor anything truly similar, though "emerge wayland" does.

Daniel on the video said that the network solution they are testing is something similar to VNC right? Weren't they targeting something more advanced??