Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
Well, Intel, AMD, Nvidia and the likes have all fully embraced LLVM/Clang and are making their products fully available to FreeBSD and anyone else adopting the LLVM/Clang infrastructure. -- Whether it's Oracle, IBM, RedHat, Intel, Nvidia, AMD, you name it it appears that no matter amount of cash spent on Linux and it's graphics subsystems ever seems to produce a clean, robust and scalable solution. There is nothing but duct tape everywhere.
Seriously, what the fuck? What does compile infrastucture have to do with a display servers and compositors? I'm not sure if you have noticed that Linux dominates on servers, embedded systems and mobile. None of which need or use X.org (for the most part). For the companies you mentioned desktop matters only to the few. ...and Intel, AMD and Nvidia making the "products fully available" on FreeBSD? Are talking only about LLVM/Clang because AMD and Intel doesn't provide any(?) (graphics) drivers for BSDs. Companies like Google (the second largest contributor to the project) do not work on LLVM/Clang to improve it on FreeBSD but rather make it more suitable for their Linux work. I don't see the connection between LLVM/Clang and FreeBSD.

From what I am seeing, you pour a few billion into FreeBSD's needs and it'll run circles around Linux and the Gnome/KDE Linux centric user base in a fraction of the time it has taken for Linux to get out of its own way.
Yes because like in this case they don't actually have to write the stuff themselves when they can port it over from Linux...

Hell, when Debian is making their entire archive LLVM/Clang ready and FreeBSD ready you know shit is happening in the Linux world that people are getting sick of and your types of rants epitomize it to the core.
Excuse me, what? FreeBSD moved away from GCC because it moved to GPLv3 licence and meanwhile LLVM/Clang matured to the point it was better choise than the old version of GCC. Debian is doing that because they can and generally want to provide as much choise as possible.