Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Steam Can Now Be Repackaged In Linux Distributions

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,100

    Default Steam Can Now Be Repackaged In Linux Distributions

    Phoronix: Steam Can Now Be Repackaged In Linux Distributions

    Back in mid-November there were concerns about packaging Valve's Steam Linux client by Linux distributions that allow binary blobs to reside within their package repositories. In particular, Arch Linux developers were unsure whether they were legally allowed to put Steam into one of their repositories for each re-distribution. Valve has now said it's okay by clarifying their license...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5NzI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    45

    Default

    I'm not so impressed with the number of titles available but excited that steam client developement is progressing nicely.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    536

    Default

    I miss some benchmarks. Michael, you're still not allowed to post them, or are you waiting on something else?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    I miss some benchmarks. Michael, you're still not allowed to post them, or are you waiting on something else?
    There's been some issues with the Steam client in terms of automation. I haven't checked in a couple weeks though to see if the issues I hit were resolved. Basically, Steam wouldn't exit cleanly after test execution.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There's been some issues with the Steam client in terms of automation. I haven't checked in a couple weeks though to see if the issues I hit were resolved. Basically, Steam wouldn't exit cleanly after test execution.
    JUST DO IT. Even if it means doing it manually



    I am really curious to see how it runs with the open drivers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    JUST DO IT. Even if it means doing it manually
    I am really curious to see how it runs with the open drivers.
    Seconded! Especially free driver stacks.
    Maybe it is time to emerge a steam-client-meta on my system besides my Desura. I still got that Steam account around from L4D1 and 2 on Windows. Hadn't had much time for gaming lately but anyway. One more Linux client install in their logs and statistics.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There's been some issues with the Steam client in terms of automation. I haven't checked in a couple weeks though to see if the issues I hit were resolved. Basically, Steam wouldn't exit cleanly after test execution.
    Thanks for the answer.

    Yesterday I opened up steam, saw CS:Source was having a sale, and bought it, and it got me thinking: wouldn't it be nice if there was a site that listed promotions on linux games? It could list the HiB while they were running, and steam sales, and whatnot. That way you could have a central place to follow for all those things.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    295

    Default

    There were some concern with openSUSE too, but I managed to bring the right people form SUSE (not openSUSE) and Valve together.

    The rpm for opensuse has returned:

    http://software.opensuse.org/package/steam

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Now if Debian takes this it should go into the non-free repo..would be great if a .deb is provided too

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gps4l View Post
    There were some concern with openSUSE too, but I managed to bring the right people form SUSE (not openSUSE) and Valve together.

    The rpm for opensuse has returned:

    http://software.opensuse.org/package/steam
    Seems a little out dated in Arch [multilib] the latest version is 1.0.0.25 not 22.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •