Thread: I want to get a second HDD to install Linux on!

Hybrid View

Question I want to get a second HDD to install Linux on!

I have decided to finally put a Linux distribution on my desktop (mostly thanks to a more optimistic look on gaming on Linux) but before investing in a second HDD, I wanted to get clearance from you knowledgeable folk at Phoronix first. My PC contains the following at the moment:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

Memory: 8Gb (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz

Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM

Graphics Card:
    Gainward GeForce GTX 570 Golden Sample

Power Supply Unit: Antec TruePower New Modular 650W

Case: Lian-Li PC-K63B First Knight

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Monitor: Yamakasi CatLeap Q270 LED 2560X1440p

The second HDD I intend to get is this one. I fully intend on keeping Windows 7 around for now especially as I don't find Windows 8 too appealing. Nevertheless, I don't want to play around with partitions and would rather just go all the way by giving Linux its very own HDD. It's a bigger HDD which goes in line with me hoping for Windows 7 to be my last Windows operating system, especially as Linux can do everything I want except sufficient gaming, but even that is changing.

I know that an Intel CPU and a Nvidia GPU will do just fine in Linux. However, what would dual booting from two different HDDs be like? Will I face any issues as opposed to just partitioning the HDD? Is there anything I am missing?

Default simple option

Hei Lad!

If you are familiar with BIOS, than make your Ubuntu installation HDD first bootable disk, than simply install and enjoy, i am guessing ubuntu will detect windows and add it to bootloader options. in worse case scenario you can always change back settings via BIOS and original windows partition won't change.

Disclaimer: you must know how to work with bios on rahter advanced level.

Good luck.