Thread: Razor-qt Desktop Looks Towards v1.0, Qt 5 & Wayland

Default Razor-qt Desktop Looks Towards v1.0, Qt 5 & Wayland

Phoronix: Razor-qt Desktop Looks Towards v1.0, Qt 5 & Wayland

Razor-qt is the lightweight Qt-based desktop environment that's come around in mostly the past two years as a much more slim desktop alternative to KDE. It's similar in nature to Xfce but written in Qt rather than GTK. This Qt desktop environment is on initial approach for its next release and further out they are getting excited over Qt 5 and Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5ODA

Doesn't Razer-Qt use KWin and all the other standard window managers? These would have to be changed in order to work with Wayland I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Doesn't Razer-Qt use KWin and all the other standard window managers? These would have to be changed in order to work with Wayland I guess?
    Once they port over to QT5, it should as far as I know work on Wayland. Except maybe some X specific things like the application lists in the panel.

y'know VLC

vlc is qt

or so I've heard.

vlc is good shit so for me qt is good shit too

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    AFAIK, Razer-Qt "Desktop" is a replacement for Plasma Desktop (including Kwin, Plasma Activities, and etc.). Plasma is kind of a "heavyweight", due (mostly, AFAIK) to the database which supports the "Semantic Desktop" features (KDE's Nepomuk and Aknoadi programs).

I understand that Razer-Qt has been, or very soon will be invited, to July Qt/KDE meeting. From a bit of reading between the lines of Plasma Development ML posts, I have the impression that KDE people *LIKE* the idea of Razer-Qt as a lightweight alternative. If so, this relationship would become one of "friendly cooperation, sharing ideas and implementations", rather unlike the relationship between certain parts of, and people of, KDE and GNOME.

This is just my personal impression, I do not speak for KDE or Razer-Qt. But KWin and Desktop Activities would definitely not be in use.