Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56

Thread: AMD Radeon Gallium3D Starting To Out-Run Catalyst In Some Cases

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    And if 1 day all the Linux distros in the world decide to charge for software upgrades, it's curtains.

    And software upgrades are never free. Red Hat charges for upgrades. Microsoft and Apple charge for upgrades. Oracle and IBM charge for upgrades. SAP charges for upgrades. So you telling me that server admins running Red Hat / Microsoft servers loaded with Oracle / IBM / SAP applications should never upgrade their systems because their software updates are not free.
    First you're talking about Desktop users, then you warp the subject to suit your argument. I am a Desktop user, and I do not care about Servers, nor do I care about proprietary software, because there are (in most cases) FOSS alternatives.

    EDIT:
    I highly doubt "1 day all the Linux distros in the world decide to charge for software upgrades", and if, then there will be forkage.
    RHEL -> CentOS, one example.
    Last edited by j2723; 02-13-2013 at 10:38 AM.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    And if 1 day all the Linux distros in the world decide to charge for software upgrades, it's curtains.

    And software upgrades are never free. Red Hat charges for upgrades. Microsoft and Apple charge for upgrades. Oracle and IBM charge for upgrades. SAP charges for upgrades. So you telling me that server admins running Red Hat / Microsoft servers loaded with Oracle / IBM / SAP applications should never upgrade their systems because their software updates are not free.
    Trolling, astroturfing, or both?

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    So by your logic the whole world should just stick to obsolete hardware like Intel's integrated GMA 950 graphics core because it's capable of running Windows 7's Aero, Windows 8's desktop effects, Compiz and the built-in compositors + desktop effects found in the latest versions of KDE and Gnome even though it's more than 5 years old.
    Reading comprehension issues? How is it obsolete when it can keep up with current hardware (ok, maybe not with your "mine is the largest" 7970x2, but who cares?). I am running latest shit with 1080p on it.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    And if 1 day all the Linux distros in the world decide to charge for software upgrades, it's curtains.

    And software upgrades are never free. Red Hat charges for upgrades. Microsoft and Apple charge for upgrades. Oracle and IBM charge for upgrades. SAP charges for upgrades. So you telling me that server admins running Red Hat / Microsoft servers loaded with Oracle / IBM / SAP applications should never upgrade their systems because their software updates are not free.
    You must realize that your logic is flawed. The point is that when upgrading something costs money and reaps no or very small benefits in real world use, it ends up not being worth it to upgrade. If you think this is less true of server administrators than at home, then you don't know business server administrators.

    In business you need to make a business case to spend money. With server software the possible reasons for doing that are useful features, more efficiency, security enhancements, avoiding end of life for software support, etc. Most of the time it means a case of spending less time doing more business (the old "time is money" adage). Sometimes it's about avoiding risk (security and support end of life issues fall into that category). New features that you won't use or benchmarks that mean nothing in real world usage don't cut it for reasons to upgrade in business.

    In personal use upgrades are all about whether the difference you'll see is worth the money/effort you're going to spend to you personally. For some people, a better benchmark is worth it. In some cases, actual use cases make it worth it to someone. Some place more emphasis on games, 3-D modelling, or high resolution video processing; some people don't need those things.

    Nobody is arguing that it's never worth it to upgrade, so your examples just end up being straw men. A GMA950 stinks for a number of purposes. It's almost always worth it to upgrade eventually, but there's no hard and fast rule about when.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    And if 1 day all the Linux distros in the world decide to charge for software upgrades, it's curtains.

    And software upgrades are never free. Red Hat charges for upgrades. Microsoft and Apple charge for upgrades. Oracle and IBM charge for upgrades. SAP charges for upgrades. So you telling me that server admins running Red Hat / Microsoft servers loaded with Oracle / IBM / SAP applications should never upgrade their systems because their software updates are not free.
    One should charge for actual work, not for the sake of charging.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Qt.

    Not QT.
    That made me smile.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fioan89 View Post
    As I understand from you statements ,you are using your video card for video acceleration. Now my question is: how are you doing that? With Catalyst or with Gallium driver? I have a HD 4570 and now with Ubuntu 12.04.2 which uses a 3.5 kernel, Catalyst no longer support my card. For now I'm pleased with the graphics performance, but when it comes to video acceleration... everything sucks. And it seems that my Dual Core Pentium T4300 can't handle Full HD decoding.
    r600g supports VDPAU. It's a bit experimental at the moment, but it generally does work. Mind you, since it's an HTPC, I accelerate mostly TV streams, and that means MPEG2. The support for H.264 is a bit poor in that some colours are mismatched, last time I checked, but it should be fixed eventually.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Trolling, astroturfing, or both?
    Clearly a new class of poster has been presented before us.
    I bring you...the TROLLSTROTURFER!!!
    Look on his works, o ye believers in reason and DESPAIR

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    That made me smile.
    He does it literally everything single time someone capitalizes the T in Qt. Like I get it, It is technically Qt and QT is either nothing at all, or QuickTime depending on where you are. But It really is unnecessary, asdx :P

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    He does it literally everything single time someone capitalizes the T in Qt. Like I get it, It is technically Qt and QT is either nothing at all, or QuickTime depending on where you are. But It really is unnecessary, asdx :P
    Reminds me of people in the Unreal Tournament community that get offended when someone uses the abbreviation "UT99" and keep saying "it wasn't called UT99 originally!". And, well, both points are valid. Why call it QT and UT99 if you can use Qt and UT1.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •