Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Wayland Begins Porting Process To FreeBSD

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,540

    Default Wayland Begins Porting Process To FreeBSD

    Phoronix: Wayland Begins Porting Process To FreeBSD

    While upstream Wayland developers are just concerning themselves with Linux support and are exclusively focusing their development efforts on taking advantage of the best Linux APIs and functionality, a developer has begun proposing patches that begin to work on FreeBSD support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwMzE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    524

    Default

    This is something you fork. You try to keep projects targeting radically different OSes with some deep internal behavior that basically requires entire swathes of the architecture to be rewritten, and you already have two projects. But you end up sticking them in one git tree. Fast forward a few years and you have makefile hell and make me cry.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    733

    Default

    What a waste of a perfectly good display server and developer resources.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    This is something you fork. You try to keep projects targeting radically different OSes with some deep internal behavior that basically requires entire swathes of the architecture to be rewritten, and you already have two projects. But you end up sticking them in one git tree. Fast forward a few years and you have makefile hell and make me cry.
    This patch set is about Wayland, not Weston. Wayland is largely OS-independent, while Weston depends on KMS and other Linux stuff.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Yes Wayland do not require KMS.

    Weston do. And if someone want to add another back end for it? NO PROBLEM. They just need to comit themselfs for support that back end in future.

    And in fact that is very good. That mean few more pottential developers ("give more eyebals, bugs are shallow", etc.), and few potential upgrades to whole Weston.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Weston has gained fbdev backend. Does FreeBSD have support for fbdev? If so, they can make weston work on their systems. I tried an experimental build last night where Weston was built without Mesa at all. libdrm was needed - something in fbdev backend uses libdrm functions - not sure if that should be correct.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krejzi View Post
    Weston has gained fbdev backend. Does FreeBSD have support for fbdev? If so, they can make weston work on their systems. I tried an experimental build last night where Weston was built without Mesa at all. libdrm was needed - something in fbdev backend uses libdrm functions - not sure if that should be correct.
    Supposedly yes, though I haven't tried it myself since I don't currently have a FreeBSD installation
    Here's the link to the port: http://www.freshports.org/x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intellivision View Post
    Supposedly yes, though I haven't tried it myself since I don't currently have a FreeBSD installation
    Here's the link to the port: http://www.freshports.org/x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev/
    That's Xorg driver that uses kernel framebuffer drivers.

    And if that drivers exists, so must /dev/fb0 exist.

    I didn't notice it untill now, but the same guy who added fbdev backend to Weston has actually posted the FreeBSD patches.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •