Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Puts Out Updated Ubuntu Linux Laptop

Hybrid View

Default Dell Puts Out Updated Ubuntu Linux Laptop

Phoronix: Dell Puts Out Updated Ubuntu Linux Laptop

Dell has released an updated XPS 13 laptop that now has an 1920 x 1080 FHD display while shipping Ubuntu 12.04 LTS...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwNTE

Isn't that kind of really expensive?

Interesting, although right now Haswell is more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    Isn't that kind of really expensive?
    Haswell is gonna rip Ivy Bridge to shreds (is my guess) Also for that price...I'd seriously get a Macbook Air first.

^And say that FROM an original-release Dell XPS 13z currently running Arch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Haswell is gonna rip Ivy Bridge to shreds (is my guess) Also for that price...I'd seriously get a Macbook Air first.
    I just configured a 13" MacBook Air with a i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD HHD just like this model. It's $1600 ($50 more) and the display resolution is 1440x900 which is quite a bit lower than this Dell (1920x1080).

This is expensive relative to larger non-ultrabook laptops, but this price is in line with competing ultrabooks from ASUS, Apple, and the rest.

For an Ubuntu laptop, this is what I would buy if I was buying today. The quesiton is: when will Haswell models start shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by DanLamb View Post
    I just configured a 13" MacBook Air with a i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD HHD just like this model. It's $1600 ($50 more) and the display resolution is 1440x900 which is quite a bit lower than this Dell (1920x1080).

This is expensive relative to larger non-ultrabook laptops, but this price is in line with competing ultrabooks from ASUS, Apple, and the rest.
    Yeah, but the MacBook Air is thinner, prettier and better build quality than the Dell.
    Also the trackpad on the MacBooks are said to be superior to the trackpads on other laptops.

On the downside you get a ugly Apple logo that lights up and a device that looks exactly like every other laptop around you.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Yeah, but the MacBook Air is thinner, prettier and better build quality than the Dell.
    Also the trackpad on the MacBooks are said to be superior to the trackpads on other laptops.

On the downside you get a ugly Apple logo that lights up and a device that looks exactly like every other laptop around you.
    The 2012 13" MacBook Air is 0.03 inches thinner and wider/longer. The Dell wins on form factor:

MacBook Air (wikipedia): 12.8 in (325 mm) wide 8.94 in (227 mm) deep 0.11 in (3 mm) to 0.68 in (17 mm) high
    XPS 13: 12.4x8.1x0.71 inches

Most Dell laptops are ugly and most Apple laptops are beautiful, but this specific Dell looks quite attractive. I also like getting something unique.

I'd believe that the Apple trackpad is probably nicer.

I've read enough Matthew Garrett posts to know not to buy an apple laptop and expect linux to work well (or for long). Besides, I don't want to support Apple. If they are a hardware company, as so many suggest, why won't they let me install my OS without using the bootcap intemediary?

The pulsing white light on the front of my wifes macbook drives me crasy some nights. Does any one know if you can trun it off (running mac os x 10.7)

Quote Originally Posted by DanLamb View Post

For an Ubuntu laptop, this is what I would buy if I was buying today. The quesiton is: when will Haswell models start shipping?
    Display difference isn't a huge deal to me, ive got the original model right now and its usable (I wont say NICE but still definitely usable)

The 50 dollar difference....better trackpad. God what I'd do for a nicer, properly supported, trackpad on this thing ><