Thread: Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" Installer Release Candidate 1

Hybrid View

Default Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" Installer Release Candidate 1

Phoronix: Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" Installer Release Candidate 1

The first release candidate of Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" has been released as the official release of the "Squeeze" successor approaches in the coming months...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwNTY

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" Installer Release Candidate 1

The first release candidate of Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" has been released as the official release of the "Squeeze" successor approaches in the coming months...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwNTY
    It would be nice to know if this is "Steam-compatible" out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by sabriah View Post
    It is "steam-compatible".

You just need to install Steam on Wheezy with an installer script which takes cares of things like wrong glibc version and dependencies not found in Debian repos.

Quote Originally Posted by sabriah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    You just need to install Steam on Wheezy with an installer script which takes cares of things like wrong glibc version and dependencies not found in Debian repos.
    In other words, no.

In Debian experimental would be a Steam compatible libc6 as well but when you build binaries and you want to share em then they would be all incompatible with pure wheezy. Steam began to ship a compat environment but they did it completely wrong. The bootstrap code requires a new libc6 and of course they don't use that compat files for bootstrapping. Absolutely useless code right now...

Basically wheezy is very interesting as it is the first multiarch Debian version. When you combine it with the backports I do for Kanotix Dragonfire which is wheezy based it looks pretty solid. I use of course latest kernel 3.8 and have got fglrx legcy 13.1, fglrx 13.2 beta 6, wine-unstable 1.5.24 and some others in my repo.

Steam worked since the beginning with Debian with my script. Just some stupid apps needed a few more tricks like Unity of Command (there you have to extract libc6 again in the program folder) or sometimes they have got weird dependency checks. I dont remember the demo right now, but no game should require ia32-libs, that's just wrong when the system is multiarch. Ubuntu uses it as meta package now but it will always be wrong when you check if that package is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Steam began to ship a compat environment but they did it completely wrong.
    Do you have documentation explaining how it should be done?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Steam worked since the beginning with Debian with my script.
    Much appreciated.