Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Firefox 19 Release Today Brings The PDF Viewer

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    Poppler is a quite capable pdf renderer/interpreter which is open-source too and is *fast* and *mature*.
    The only valid argument in favour of pdf.js is security.
    They want it in javascript so they can use it on any device such as firefox os, set top boxes etc which only support html5 and javascript. Writing in javascript is the best way, it just needs improving, have patience.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
    They want it in javascript so they can use it on any device such as firefox os, set top boxes etc which only support html5 and javascript. Writing in javascript is the best way, it just needs improving, have patience.
    Boxes that support Firefox, support poppler too. I don't see why do everything in Javascript even if its not wise.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
    They want it in javascript so they can use it on any device such as firefox os, set top boxes etc which only support html5 and javascript. Writing in javascript is the best way, it just needs improving, have patience.
    If device supports html5 and javascript, it means it has Firefox installed, which is written in C++. If device can run Firefox, it can also run PDF viewer written in C++.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Seems mozilla recognized they made a huge mistake:

    "Prepare a hotfix to disable pdf.js, targeting FF18 and 19 (all platforms, release channel)":
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=839239

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    Seems mozilla recognized they made a huge mistake:

    "Prepare a hotfix to disable pdf.js, targeting FF18 and 19 (all platforms, release channel)":
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=839239
    But they don't say why, do you know? I just disabled it, it is way too slow.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    Seems mozilla recognized they made a huge mistake:

    "Prepare a hotfix to disable pdf.js, targeting FF18 and 19 (all platforms, release channel)":
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=839239
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    But they don't say why, do you know? I just disabled it, it is way too slow.
    Unfortunately I don't think they have recognised their mistake yet. According to the bug description this hotfix was prepared a part of a contingency plan in case they need/want to disable pdf.js:

    We need to prepare a hotfix for pdfjs.disabled=true, targeting FF19 (all platforms). This doesn't need to target FF19.0a1/a2. We may not end up using this hotfix, but we should prepare/test it in case we need to utilize it.
    None of the subsequent comments in the bug indicate that they have actually decided to disable it

    I'm beginning to get the feeling that they are just going to leave it enabled and slowly improve it in Firefox 19, 20 and 21. Hopefully by Firefox 21 we will have something similar in speed and rendering accuracy to poppler.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    α Centauri
    Posts
    30

    Default

    pdf.js render a lot of pages and keep it in RAM. Evince render only current page(s). In the case of pdf.js a big book with hundred of pages or more will be kept cached in memory in from first page to the last viewed page. So memory consumption will be huge. Anyway memory management in Firefox is already catastrophic with or without opened pdf documents.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onicsis View Post
    pdf.js render a lot of pages and keep it in RAM. Evince render only current page(s). In the case of pdf.js a big book with hundred of pages or more will be kept cached in memory in from first page to the last viewed page. So memory consumption will be huge. Anyway memory management in Firefox is already catastrophic with or without opened pdf documents.
    That explains, but as for the last statement, the mozilla/firefox people took note around firefox 7 and from about firefox ten forward firefox is again pretty lean. That is doesn't use as much memory as it used to.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default I like pdf.js !

    I just opened that 907 pages document : http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/abs-guide.pdf it was all rendered in about one second, and switching to page 400 was done instantly. it is faster that the adobe's plugin I used at work until now, I use to consult huge pdf documents, such as Sun frames user manuals... So, I am pretty satisfied of that new feature. I suppose, however, that it is not so good if you have low bandwich, since it renders the whole document at once...

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    ABS has about zero pictures or other fancy things, it's all text, no?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •