Thread: Java JDK 8 Gets Delayed Due To Project Lambda

Default Java JDK 8 Gets Delayed Due To Project Lambda

Phoronix: Java JDK 8 Gets Delayed Due To Project Lambda

A feature-complete version of the Java Development Kit (JDK) 8 has been delayed...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwODY

Default Hope Java 8 is good

I hope Java 8 is better than Java 6 and Java 7.

I haven't used Java 7 yet, since Java 6 is used for Android development.
    But Java 6 sucked.

Luckily, Java 7 has gotten better with improved type interference and strings in switches.

I hope Java 8 gets even better, I think it will support better exception handling with multi-catch statements.

I really hope Java 8 improves a lot, because C# / .NET is superior to Java 6.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post

But Java 6 sucked.

Luckily, Java 7 has gotten better with improved type interference and strings in switches.

I hope Java 8 gets even better, I think it will support better exception handling with multi-catch statements.

My impression is that Java 8 will be able to compete with .Net since what I have seen from project lambda is very beautiful and powerful

But what do you mean by multi-catch statements?
    In java 7 they do support this:

Code:

try{
    //Some stuff
    }catch(Exception1 | Exception 2){
    // Some other stuff
    }

Quote Originally Posted by vein View Post
    My impression is that Java 8 will be able to compete with .Net since what I have seen from project lambda is very beautiful and powerful

But what do you mean by multi-catch statements?
    In java 7 they do support this...
    Yes, I meant those multi-catch statement from the code you posted.
    Oh yeh, it was already implemented in Java 7.

Well, its good that Java 7 improved Java much because Java 6 sucked.
    I hope Java 8 further improves Java and makes it more competitive with C# / .NET.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post

But Java 6 sucked.

C# has more language features than Java, but neither C# or Java are remotely competitive with say F# or Scala in the respective ecosystems. If you want an elegant, well designed language, and are willing to go through a learning curve, either of those should be at the top of your list.

The other big difference between JVM and .NET is JVM is a highly open, decentralized, community, while .NET is more of a walled garden that is more tightly controlled by a single entity. JVM probably offers more choice, variety, and innovation, while .NET offers more simplicity, and less of a learning curve.